Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ....back from the dead.... J-ME's Avatar
    +1

66v cylinders on a 66e

Anyone ever run one like this?

How much performance is lost?

+1
    ive never done it but my buddy did, he put a 66e cylinder in his 1200 and it ran like before same compression as the other 2 66v cyls, the only difference between the two is the exhaust ports, we asked around town and called some mechanics before knowing about this forum and some said not to do it, and some said you wouldnt tell the difference. ski is still running strong

....back from the dead.... J-ME's Avatar
    +1
    Thanks, but I am looking to see if anyone did the opposite. 1200 cylinders in an 800.

I don't know what the out come would be but you will be giving away performance with that change. I may hit better off the bottom but not enough to make up for the lost top. There is a reason the engineers built the engine the way they did.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by egbrig View Post
    I don't know what the out come would be but you will be giving away performance with that change. I may hit better off the bottom but not enough to make up for the lost top. There is a reason the engineers built the engine the way they did.

HA HA , I spend half my time fixen crap a so called engineer built.
    If they would only spend some time in the out in the real world.
    By the way, the people on this board are some of the top "Field Engineers around" and thank god for that.

The only thing I can add to this from research over the years is the following. There were a couple of guys who had done the opposite and it worked out really well on the tripple pipe skis(800 cyls on the 1200 platform) If you measure the displacement between the 800 cylinders and the 1200 cylinders I dont think that they are that much bigger, but as stated before the 800's have the more radical porting. Speaking to people in the past I was thinking of putting the 1300's on my 66e and all said stay with what I have would get more power out of the 800 cylinders.

Who are the engineers? I don't see much technical info posted here. In manufacturing a product is designed, then the bean counters and lawyers get ahold of it and ruin a good design. IEGPR why are you fixing your ski all the time? I run a fully ported twin pipe 800 s/s 8000 rpm in my blaster. Haven't had any problems with mechanically. BTW I ported my own cases and cylinders, made my own intake manifold and no engine reliability issues.
    Last edited by egbrig; 01-04-2008 at 06:11 PM.

egbrig,
    Can you send me some pics of your ski???? I love radical, modified boats and yours sounds like it's pretty radical. Blaster with big HP=lots of fun.
    Mike

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by egbrig View Post
    Who are the engineers? I don't see much technical info posted here. In manufacturing a product is designed, then the bean counters and lawyers get ahold of it and ruin a good design. IEGPR why are you fixing your ski all the time? I run a fully ported twin pipe 800 s/s 8000 rpm in my blaster. Haven't had any problems with mechanically. BTW I ported my own cases and cylinders, made my own intake manifold and no engine reliability issues.
    I think you missed what I was talking about. The only thing I do to my ski is mod for better preformence. the thinks I fix all the time is crap at work. Im an HVAC tech. I deal with engineers all the time and have to point out there mistakes. This is in new construction mostly. All I was saying is the engineers at Yam, R&D, Riva and others have " engineered " stuff and the people on this board push this stuff past what is was intended for. This is what keeps the mod biz going. Point is case, Oside and Spud talking with engineers on the porp thing.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by IEGPR View Post
    I think you missed what I was talking about. The only thing I do to my ski is mod for better preformence. the thinks I fix all the time is crap at work. Im an HVAC tech. I deal with engineers all the time and have to point out there mistakes. This is in new construction mostly. All I was saying is the engineers at Yam, R&D, Riva and others have " engineered " stuff and the people on this board push this stuff past what is was intended for. This is what keeps the mod biz going. Point is case, Oside and Spud talking with engineers on the porp thing.
    The Problem with O-side and Spud is they are those Engineers who make all the mistakes "Have to crack a few eggs" you know how the saying goes

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information