Is it ok to......

I have to tow my ski a few miles...the pump and impeller has been taken off and all you see in the ass end is the impeller shaft....can i tow it like this? will it hurt anything? Immediate response is appreciated, THX

im not 100% sure but it is not wise to tow it like that the shaft is sitting on your ring wich may be dammaged by the towing.

ive seen some guys hold the shaft with a rope while they are working on there pumps. or even a piece of wood to keep the shaft straight.

anybody else

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    you would need to clamp the water line coming off the pump housing so water doesn't start flowing thru the lines while towing and causing damage.

Seadoo sells a bracket support that bolts across the driveshaft to push it in and hold it in place when pulling the engine or needing to remove the carbon seal.... u can make something similar with a block of wood for a quick tow just to keep the driveshaft in place and straight

and make damn sure your bailer tubes are working properly! or clamp those hoses as well...

that's pretty much it

Maybe something like this:

a 2X4 mitred and fit in such a way that it is nestled between the tines in the grate and zip tied into place by drilling a hole above or below the tines and strapping into place...

I did this simple jig to hold up the shaft while the pump was out for an extended period of time...PR...

note* you`d still have to secure or tie up the cables from bouncing around, you could use string to the boarding step if you have one!...
    Last edited by Pale Rider; 02-25-2007 at 12:02 PM.

I just take one of the long sockets, it is a perfect size to hold the driveshaft up while working on the pump...

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    and for those scratching their heads.... no you don't NEED to support the driveshaft while the pump is removed... for some it's piece of mind.

but this topic is about towing the craft with no pump installed. while the machine is on the trailer or in the garage, you can leave the pump off and the driveshaft there no problem.

!@#$

Wish I had seen this before. I just completed the stage 1 but took the parts off (pump included) at my house and then drove 3 hours with pump off and drive shaft inside by itself...

what did I screw up? What should I be looking for as far as damage..

anybody?? i'm nervous as %$#@ here... Hopefully these amberbock kick in..

Quote Originally Posted by badams7 View Post
    Wish I had seen this before. I just completed the stage 1 but took the parts off (pump included) at my house and then drove 3 hours with pump off and drive shaft inside by itself...

what did I screw up? What should I be looking for as far as damage..
    You towed it on a trailer right? Should be fine. you dont want the driveshaft banging around, but if you dont see an oil spill under the engine at the PTO, it should be ok.

Anytime I pull my pump for more than a few minutes I place small 2x4's to support the shaft... Also have towed the ski without pump did the same thing. I recommend sum type of support for piece of mind...

Thread Information