View Poll Results: A poll for Canadians

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • I will buy in Canada and take the hit.

3 18.75%
  • I will buy in the States and save my money.

13 81.25%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Where are Canadians Buying This Year

I was wondering how many Canadians are going south of the border this year to buy thier Sea-Doo's? I have added a poll to check the results.

Thanks,
    Rob

i thought sales to Canadians in the states were banned? I know they are on Ski-doos and at Car dealerships thought they were doing the same for just about everything else.

+1
    There are some small promotions but nothing near the 4k delta on a RXP-X between Canadian MSRP and the US. MSRP.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by brett541 View Post
    i thought sales to Canadians in the states were banned? I know they are on Ski-doos and at Car dealerships thought they were doing the same for just about everything else.
    Some creative people have found ways around it.

+1
    Does anyone know what the US. boat show promotions are from Sea-Doo?
    I would be interested in comparing.

If i could afford to buy one i would probably find a way to buy one from the states, buy im going to school im september (hopefully) so there goes my money there. When im done school im probably buying my own ski to "practice" working on and by then i should be able to get something decent thats not going to kill me in price.

It's rather easy to do. Assuming you have a friend or relative that has an American citizenship, the new ski can be placed in their name. Once you leave the dealer, your "friend" can sell you the ski[create a bill of sale]. When you get to the border you just pay the GST/PST and no duty since it is made in Canada. You then register it the same way you would a ski bought in Canada. Unlike a new car in which you have to give at least 72hrs notice to the border, a PWC does not require the same. You can pre-print all the required papers from Custom's Canada website.

NAFTA sheet!

You need a NAFTA sheet (north america free trade agreement) to prove where the boat was built in Can or usa to the broker at the border (eg Fed x ). If you dont have this sheet!! you also pay the duty + GST = BIG at the border. Make sure you have seperate ownership for the Trailer ! In some us states under 3000lbs no such paper work is needed, so be ready to prove it! Printed document from that state. And a bill of sale then you should be good to go!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale180se View Post
    You need a NAFTA sheet (north america free trade agreement) to prove where the boat was built in Can or USA to the broker at the border (eg Fed x ).
    If you dont have this sheet!! you also pay the duty + GST = BIG at the border.
    Make sure you have separate ownership for the Trailer ! In some us states under 3000lbs no such paper work is needed, so be ready to prove it! Printed document from that state.
    And a bill of sale then you should be good to go!
    Are you talking about a shipped ski being ushered across the border by a customs broker, or someone pulling it across on their own trailer?

As far as I know, PWC are now considered general merchandise, and you just pay GST+PST. No duty on US or Canada built units. That is what I did in November 2007. No NAFTA sheet, no issues. I did have the Certificate of Origin, Proper Bill of Sale (notarized), printout of ads, email with seller, etc.

I agree that the more complete and prepared your paperwork, the better your experience at the border is likely to be.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Are you talking about a shipped ski being ushered across the border by a customs broker, or someone pulling it across on their own trailer?

As far as I know, PWC are now considered general merchandise, and you just pay GST+PST. No duty on US or Canada built units. That is what I did in November 2007. No NAFTA sheet, no issues. I did have the Certificate of Origin, Proper Bill of Sale (notarized), printout of ads, email with seller, etc.

I agree that the more complete and prepared your paperwork, the better your experience at the border is likely to be.
    You are correct. At least this is what Canada Custom's told me over the phone. No duty will have to be paid.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information