'98 SPX Sea Doo laboring at high speed

I own 2 '98 SPX's and they have been in perfect working condition until someone sucked up a rock and it got lodged between the impellar. After the dealer fixed the damaged implellar I noticed that the top end speed on the repaired sea-doo is much slower compared to the other one and that at full throtle either the something is laboring or something is skipping. Convincing my family that there was a difference between the two was difficult but I finally convinced them and a perfectly calm day. I raced my dad who weighs 30lbs less than me about a mile and back. Needless to say after the race ended I was right -something was still wrong with the repaired Sea-Doo. If I run at 80% throttle everything seems fine. The speed is comparable to the other and no laboring or skipping. As soon as you go past 80% the sea-doo doesnt seem to go any faster. It almost sounds as if the motor is trying to produce more power but it isnt getting transfered to the prop?? We took it back to the dealer this fall and of course they couldn't find anything wrong. They only tank tested it and said everything seems fine - figures. We even gave them both skis and told them to take them out the lake and they will see the difference very easily.

Any suggestions?

+1
    Assuming the right impeller was installed from the repair....

Sounds like you maybe starving the motor for fuel.

Seadoo has a BAD problem with the fuel lines (1994-2002) the inside of the fuel line is deterioating & clogging the small filters in the carbs thus starving the motor for fuel.

You need to have carbs cleaned/rebuilt,if you find that the filters are clogged then you need to have all the fuel lines & fuel selector valve changed.

Dan (waterworx) knows these as good as anyone.

Where are you? If you're near him I'd recommend you taking the ski to him to be checked. He is very good, and goes the extra mile for his customers (and friends)

+1
    Thanx Reg

Hope you & yours are having a good new year.

+1
    sounds like a damaged impellar from when you sucked up the rock. Put a light through the intake area and the nozzle as well, check both sides and look at the impellar for any damages.

SHOOTER

+1
    yeah , it depends how they fixed your rock problem...
    did they replace the wear ring?? did they replace the impeller?? or just grind down the damaged sections.
    could be carb trouble, but sounds more like a impeller issue. it does not take much damage to really impact performance, if you are just a little slower than the other ski, i would take apart the pump and check it out thoroughly. its easy to take apart and reassemble.

I know for a fact they replaced the impellar, as for the wear ring I am not for sure. I sure hope the installed the correct impellar, I guess I could look at the work order again to see what impellar they installed and double check the fit and see if it is an aftermarket or OEM impellar.

Any tips on how I can find out if the carb needs cleaning or rebuilt. Is this something I can check myself w/o having to take it back in. Same question for the gas lines.

I just find it odd that I would all of the sudden have a carb or gas issue that directly following an impellar repair.

Here in Northern MI, most dealers do not work on Sea-Doo's in the winter as they are working on Ski-Doo's because of the season.

Smile

if it was running fine until impeller incident ,then that is the problem,sounds like they put wrong impeller in or you had damage to shaft or wear ring and they were not replaced,the missing you are hearing is the doo hitting the rev limiter,it is possible it is carb,but very unlikely,if it was fine until you got rock in it,i'm betting wrong impeller or bad wear ring or bent impeller shaft causing cavitation at high speed,jmho>Marvin

Quote Originally Posted by millzrm View Post
    Any tips on how I can find out if the carb needs cleaning or rebuilt. Is this something I can check myself w/o having to take it back in. Same question for the gas lines.

If it still has Gray lines, then it's gotta be done anyway (unless you wanna buy a new motor, THEN do them).. I literaly did 100 carb/line jobs this season. it's just "time" and the new fuel mixtures that are making it real bad lately....

Thread Information