Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

GP1400R....breaking it in

NEW STATUES - PARTS ARE IN!!!!!
    STATUS: All parts are out, waiting for them to return for the build!

__________________________________________________ ___________________________________________

Well this all started with Saturday Labor Day weekend. The motor let go I believe because of detenation. Wrist pin bearing went, rod broke at the wrist pin, broke the cylinder, and the crank casing.

As you can see some major damage! Well this put me on the course of do I want to go big or go home. GO BIG of course was the only real option. That option was to go to 1390.

I then wrote down what I needed. Crank inspected, welded, trued, new rod ect. New crank casing. New head. New cylinder.

Bought the cylinder, crank casing, and head off members of this wonderful forum. You will notice the casing has the hook ups for carbs also. This was added by the previous owner on this new casing. I will be using EFI though in my project.

Decided I was going to send the crank off to crankworks. While it is there I am also swapping all the rods with Hotrods rods, new rod bearings, ect.

Then after looking around and seeing who had the biggest numbers, best price, and seeing what people thought I picked a tuner. I decided to go with Ben Herman. Ben has putting up with my dumb emails for about a month now and has answered all my questions. Top notch guy.

So today this is where I am at. Crank has been sent off to crankworks. BB kit is in the works. I also have OEM parts coming from boat.net, wrist pins, bearings, gaskets, ect.

EMPTY..... for now

Questions:

The ports for the carbs as you see and read where added. I need to plug them for the EFI. What is the best way of doing this? I don't want to remove them because I might use them at a later date if I ever go carbs. I remember RX951 did a EFI conversion on his 1200, can you chime in on this?

When the cylinders come back I may paint them. What is the best paint to use? I remember using high temp engine paint for engine parts before on cars and it held up well. Any thoughts?

Advent or MAC ecu.... is it really ever coming out? I know we have been through this thousands of times on this board and us EFI guys are sick of waiting but I would REALLY like to have something like this.

What kind of gasket marker do I use to seal the crank casing?

How do you check the oil pump system to make sure everything is working correctly?

1390 People, do you still use your oil pump system or are you going pre mix? Reason why I ask is because I just want to see what other people are doing.

More questions to come as the project goes forward.
    Last edited by Chrisrokc; 12-19-2007 at 04:51 PM. Reason: Added Questions

no pissing match or anything of the sort from me, but what made you decide on Ben? I haven't heard of any EFI 1390's comming from his way.

but then again I don't hear very well.

A local friend thats posts on here pointed me in Ben's direction. I also kinda felt like I wasn't being taken seriously by some other tuners possibly, not naming any names. Then Ben had the biggest numbers for the price IMO and answered all my questions even if they were dumb. Then in my mind when I think big number tuners I think of Kerry and Ben. I didn't ask him if I was his first EFI ski but I did ask if since its EFI will it be a problem. He said nope! Maybe I will have one of the fastest reliable 1390 EFI setups yet! *Crosses Fingers*
    Last edited by Chrisrokc; 10-03-2007 at 03:47 PM.

+1
    best of luck with build it all looks good so far...

were they 1200 cases...

Quote Originally Posted by Hydrotherapy View Post
    best of luck with build it all looks good so far...

were they 1200 cases...
    Nope, they are 2004 1300R cases with the bungs added.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrisrokc View Post
    Nope, they are 2004 1300R cases with the bungs added.
    got ya, wondered how you got such a good paint finish and so clean...

good luck keep us posted..

paul

+1
    Use 3Bond 1211 to seal the cases together. I would probably look for a tap that could trhread the insides of the nipple holes. I would then installs bolts wet with 3Bond 1211. After it cures I would put rubber caps (like vacuum line caps) over it and clamp them.

Good luck on your build. I'm sure Ben will treat you right.

Sorry to see the carnage. That MOFO blew. Damn.

+1
    1211 3Bond is what most use to seal the cases. Ben might have another preference.

As far as the pulse fittings go, I would drill and tap for 1/8" NPT and install brass plugs with 1211 as sealant. This will allow the easy switch to barbed fittings later if you decide.

Is Ben building the motor or just doing the porting? What company is doing the boring and renick to piston size? Just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    1211 3Bond is what most use to seal the cases. Ben might have another preference.

As far as the pulse fittings go, I would drill and tap for 1/8" NPT and install brass plugs with 1211 as sealant. This will allow the easy switch to barbed fittings later if you decide.

Is Ben building the motor or just doing the porting? What company is doing the boring and renick to piston size? Just curious.
    I will be building the motor. He is just doing the porting and getting all the top end stuff ready. I have no idea who he uses for the boring and nicking. Maybe he will chime in.

+1
    Ben uses Millennium Technologies, & gets the pistons from GroupK like most builders doing the 1390 setup. Porting a 66V cylinder is childs play compared to other engines, and Ben's got it pretty well figured out.

The advantage Ben has is he is a tuner first then an engine builder. I'll take years of experience lake tuning over a top engine builder that does not even own a GPR! My bet the ski runs over 81mph no problem.

Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information