can you seperate the top deck from the hull?

Has anyone seperated the top deck from the bottom hull on either a GPR or an XLT? (And then put it back together successfully?)

Thanks

+1
    I asked a guy that builds some very radical stand ups the same question. He told me that you really need to have 2 good skis to build 1 when you are taking the top deck off. He told me that it is almost guaranteed that you are going to ruin either the hull or the deck when you try to seperate them. In my case I didnt have 2 hulls to make one good one, so I just paid someone to fix mine. Maybe someone will chime in and have a good idea though.

+1
    They are glued together in seperate pieces(top-bottom),i have my doubts about the seperation.You would need eccessive heat im sure,maybe more than the SMC could handle,not sure.You are better off getting a used hull for sure.

As I figured. Thanks.

+1
    what ya doing mr. bill?
    SHOOTER

doesn't zapata do a lot of that work...putting different top decks on his hulls maybe you could get in touch with him

It just seems it would be so much easier for anyone attempting some major modifications such as the guys building conversion skis....

+1
    Conversion skis? Are you speaking specifically about the rxp engine, or maybe the soon to be released sho engine? If so, you would be pleasantly surprised to find out how much MORE room you have by going with those engines. they are simple and smaller than dealing with carbs on the bottom of the ski, or exhaust pipes that wrap around the front of engines or electronics that take up space the size of a dinner plate, or a waterbox the size of a 18 wheeler fuel tank...

FYI, the gpr hull is a THREE piece hull. Upper, Liner, and Hull. I'm sure a smart fella can do it, but I wouldn't suggest it.

Splitting the Hull 101 without wrecking either. (I think)

After emptying my XPL of everything, I am going to try and seperate the top deck from the hull. I have noticed a little movement here and there when i push a screwdriver in so here is my plan;

The first step is to use a reciprocating saw to carefully cut along all exposed areas inside the ski. The footwell areas are a problem, simply because you cannot get to those, so they will require more thought.

The outer bondline can be cut with a cut-off wheel and wedges used to further seperate the hulls.

I am going to put wedges in and carefully pry the two pieces apart (apparently).

Greenhulk Grasshopah (DRC) HallPass's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Hydrotoys View Post
    Conversion skis? Are you speaking specifically about the rxp engine, or maybe the soon to be released sho engine? If so, you would be pleasantly surprised to find out how much MORE room you have by going with those engines. they are simple and smaller than dealing with carbs on the bottom of the ski, or exhaust pipes that wrap around the front of engines or electronics that take up space the size of a dinner plate, or a waterbox the size of a 18 wheeler fuel tank...

FYI, the gpr hull is a THREE piece hull. Upper, Liner, and Hull. I'm sure a smart fella can do it, but I wouldn't suggest it.
    I can see you mark having like a split hull, with a stock engine setup perfectly that you can lift up and off to show people how things are setup..

I think personally it would kind of be awesome if somebody had this.. sounds like something that would be in a museum.. where the top is split with the engine setup perfectly, to show..

Thread Information