Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

95 SLT 750 Engine is out

Just finished pulling the engine out and have it on the bench. Before I break it down:

Can the crank index be re verified without the cylinders and pistons to set rotation to or should I re install the pto (bad) piston and check it as if it were in the boat?

Also, can you guys give a list of needed parts and materials for re assembly so I can be shopping.

I know I will need a cylinder,piston, and head but it's the gaskets,seals,sealants,loc tite and such I am not sure about.

Thanks in advance,
    Tom

gaskets

the gaskets are available for anywhere from 85 to 100 bucks its a full engine gasket set. the piston kit is around $250 to $300. check ebay for great deals.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Cylinders and pistons need to be installed for proper crank indexing. Was any damage done to the cylinder walls? If so, you may need to go bigger than 1 size. If that's the case, you may need to do all 3 cyls.

Quote Originally Posted by xlint89 View Post
    Cylinders and pistons need to be installed for proper crank indexing. Was any damage done to the cylinder walls? If so, you may need to go bigger than 1 size. If that's the case, you may need to do all 3 cyls.
    Cylinder walls damaged worst that the first time. Deep deep grooves. I've considered having sleeves put in both damaged cyl's and just buy a head and piston but if I can get a good used one like the set up you sold me a few months back I would rather go that route.

Is there any particular e-bay store that offers better deals than others or are they all about the same?

Might check with John Zigler. He may have some of the parts you might need. His link is in my signature.

Thanks Ax, I emailed him a while back but he didn't have what I was looking for. Maybe by now something has come up. I'll give him a try again.

Index tolerance

I put the piston and cyl. back together and verified the crank. I hooked up the clothes hanger with the pointer, brought each piston to tdc and dropped .100 thousanths. Made a mark on the flywheel for each cyl. I then counted flywheel teeth from mark to mark. The cyl I am having trouble with was 1/2 of one tooth different than the other two. Is that enough to say it is out of index or is there some tolerance?

+1
    I think you need to be more accurate. With one piston at TDC the other two should measure the same from the cylinder down.

Quote Originally Posted by beerdart View Post
    I think you need to be more accurate. With one piston at TDC the other two should measure the same from the cylinder down.
    I had done that earlier and they did measure the same but since there is that small amount of crank movement as the up piston gets there and then begins the down the distance down can be "fudged" on the other two. So, I did it it by the book to be sure. I feel comfortable now that it is correct and my damage is only due to the FOD from the wrist pin failure.

Would you recommend another check before I begin the tear down?

+1
    Cool If you are happy with the checks than tear into her.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information