Question Water line routing for Riva IC

I have read on the forum about how the water lines should be run for an external IC. It contradicts how Riva has labelled their IC water line connections. Have a couple questions pertaining to this and would like to get forum members thoughts on this.
    1.) On the Riva IC, per Riva's labelling, the cooling water inlet connection is the higher elevated connection compared to the outlet connection. From my reading on the forum, the understanding is the inlet connection should be below the outlet connections to allow the water to force any air in the system out. Since the SC air cooling system is an open loop water cooling system, is there any concerns with air in the water side of the cooling system and how Riva has labelled the inlet and outlet connections?
    2.) On the Riva IC the lower temperature cooling water flows 1st to the exit side of the heat exchanger/IC that has the coolest air in the SC system since the air has already passed thru the heat exchanger. Why not have the lower temperature/coolest cooling water flow 1st to the entry side of the heat exchanger/IC to cool the hottest air coming from the SC? Is this done to accomplish a more even temperature drop/heat exchange process of the hot air coming from the SC and avoid condensation in the air side of the IC?
    If the cooling lines were switched it would result in what #1 above has to discuss.
    Last edited by RXP'in in MI; 01-08-2008 at 11:57 AM.

The ski's have taken a "backseat" to the Corvette DarthAWM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RXP'in in MI View Post
    I have read on the forum about how the water lines should be run for an external IC. It contradicts how Riva has labelled their IC water line connections. Have a couple questions pertaining to this and would like to get forum members thoughts on this.
    1.) On the Riva IC, per Riva's labelling, the cooling water inlet connection is the higher elevated connection compared to the outlet connection. From my reading on the forum, the understanding is the inlet connection should be below the outlet connections to allow the water to force any air in the system out. Since the SC air cooling system is an open loop cooling system, is there any concerns with air in the cooling system and how Riva has labelled the inlet and outlet connections?
    2.) On the Riva IC the lower temperature cooling water flows 1st to the exit side of the heat exchanger/IC that has the coolest air in the SC system since the air has already passed thru the heat exchanger. Why not have the lower temperature/coolest cooling water flow 1st to the entry side of the heat exchanger/IC to cool the hottest air coming from the SC? Is this done to accomplish a more even temperature drop/heat exchange process of the hot air coming from the SC and avoid condensation in the air side of the IC?
    If the cooling lines were switched it would result in what #1 above has to discuss.
    I can't answer number one but number two is because it is the most efficient way of cooling. That way the coldest air is exposed to the coldest water, making for the coldest cooling possible. All heat exchanging set ups are like this from Intercoolers on out skis to tha massive units use in refineries.

Any other thoughts/comments?

Thread Information