Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: radio install

radio install

Any tips on installing a radio .. I have a sony marine radio, planning on installing it to the underside of front hatch on my RXT..
    would like any tips on how to wire this..never did it before and just bought my ski last year( first ski I've owned)

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    Before i got into mods I was gonna do a serious stereo install. I know a guy with amps, 4 3-way speakers, subwooder, 8 gauge wiring kit, secondary battery so i have some information i saved from a couple years ago. I've since moved onto SPEEED, and radio ain't gonna do nothing but add weight and slow me down.

I was able to dig up these pics from a guy named John that send these to me a long time ago. Take em for what they are worth and see if you can get any ideas. Though it's not the same hull style, same concepts still would apply

POLYPLANAR..... search on them. you'll find the answers to all your needs by checking out polyplanar's website.

these pics show a strip adhesive antenna, speaker mounting, wired remote, etc etc.... check out Clarion. They have marine units with really cool remotes you can mount on the glove box lid. if you are gonna do this RIGHT, it's gonna be $$$$$
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stereopic3_116.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	74.7 KB 
ID:	3513   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stereopic2_130.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	80.2 KB 
ID:	3514   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	im000583_526.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	739.3 KB 
ID:	3515   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	im000582_209.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	789.2 KB 
ID:	3516   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	im000581_287.jpg 
Size:	740.2 KB 
ID:	3517   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	im000580_707.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	776.1 KB 
ID:	3518  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	im000500_782.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	757.8 KB 
ID:	3519   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	im000499_460.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	778.0 KB 
ID:	3520   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	im000498_947.jpg 
Size:	741.1 KB 
ID:	3521  

+1
    Every clever speaker install

You could just do what Kinch (and I) did...it is pretty damn loud and only cost abot 50 bucks...and you cant see it....

I'm going to post a how to when I get some time from work.

I love the speakers in the mirror...I have the fairing kit that I am going to install and the speakers will mount under that..and plan on mounting the stereo under the front hood like he did, I also have a wireless remote that i will just use velcro to keep it secure in glove box.. I'm just not sure how to hook up wiring and battery. I guess the radio should have directions but i haven't even taken it out of the box yet
    I'm not too concerned with added weight. I'm not racing it, more into wave jumping in the ocean, nothin like going airborne!!

Thanks Shibby

First you will need anouther battery....

secure it somewhere in your hull...

Take probably 10-12 gauge wire and splice it to the "power" cable fo the stereo.

Take anouther 10-12 gauge wire and splice it to the ground of the radio, and connect it to a ground in the ski.

Now if you are adding an amp you will need to do the same thing except use 8 gauge wire for your power and ground.

On the radio you wire see 4 wires...on for each speaker (FL, FR, RR, RL) just connect the red wire off of the speaker to this...You will see anouther 4 wires ( FL-, FR-, RR-, RL-) connect the black wire from the speaker to these, ex. If you are going to use 4 speakers then the FL one , the red wire from this will go to the FL+ wire of the radio, and the black wire from that speaker will go to the FL- of the radio.

The radio will have a shematic to show you what color wires are the ones i stated above...

If you are hooking up and amp make sure you get a 4 channel one...and just do the same thing except have the wires go to the am before they go to the speakers....

Now you are good to go!

Thanks for the info, but do I really need another battery..I was told the battery in the ski is basically no different than whats in my car and that adding a radio is not going to drain it, as long as i have a way of cutting power to radio when ski is not being used

Its not really for the battery its for your rectafier...all of that charging will make it get super hot and have a melt down....But I guess if you arnt going to have you system on while your riding you should be good to go without anouther Batt....

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by wavehummer
    Thanks for the info, but do I really need another battery..I was told the battery in the ski is basically no different than whats in my car and that adding a radio is not going to drain it, as long as i have a way of cutting power to radio when ski is not being used
    exactly... stick with your instincts. kill switch, fuse, and single battery. It'll be fine. you just aren't gonna use half the wires in the harness that comes with the receiver you get

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information