Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Winterization or Rip Off!!

My local Honda dealer wants $475 to winterize my Honda ski! WTF, does that sound right? I use to own Seadoo XP's in the mid 1990's and never winterized them. They were garage kept, on trickle charger, gas stabilization treatment, and spark plugs removed. Never had a problem in the Spring starting up. Is there something special the Honda needs or can I do the same. Of course I change the oil and other fluids prior to starting it up in the Spring. I think $475 is a little much, any thoughts? What do others do during Winter break to protect there ski's? Thanks in advance.

were they just going to winterize it or winterize it and store it for the winter $475 is alot just to winterize but i know storage fees can be a few hundred maybe thats why it was so much.

+1
    If you are storing it in a place that will surely not go belowing freezing temperatures, don't waste the money to winterize it. I never winterize mine, I just keep a battery tender and a small heater inside the hull just in case of a rare freeze. Mine cranks instantly and I just top it off with fresh Amoco 93 octane each Spring.
    JR

No storage included in price, $475. I thought that was outrageous, but I wanted to check. Unfortunetly, that Honda dealership is the only one around and they know that and take advantage of customers in my opinion.

Have not done the heater in the hull, I guess I should consider that. Do you run it all night? Any particular place you are putting the heater? Front or on top of engine or in the back were the battery compartment is? Thanks

It is EXTREMELY easy to winterize.
    $475 is outrageous.

The main thing is to get antifreeze in the block if the temps are going to drop below freezing.
    Its a very simple procedure.

U need a hose about 60 inches long that will go where you would normally run the flusher on.
    It will take 1.5 gallons to fill the block.
    Attach hose, attach a funnel to hose ,and hold the hose as high as possible and pour until it antifreeze comes out of the pisser.

It does not need to be running to do this.
    Most reccomend RV antifreeze.

I would also remove plugs ,and fill each cylinder with a table spoon of oil ,and crank over for a few sec ,and then reinstall plugs.

Stabilize fuel, and your good to go.
    These are some specific things the manual recomended.
    Oh yeah, lube everything with crc ,and I also decided to change my oil ,but its not neccesary.

Do not forget to fog the maintenance joint to corrosion proof the intake valves (check the manual for the specifics). The manual actually recommends draining the fuel instead of using a fuel stabilizer.

I believe most places around here charge around 90 dollars to winterize. I paid 230 for an oil change and I thought that was ridiculous also.

Just a H-20 HO....Need I say More! Mykull's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by baba booey View Post
    I believe most places around here charge around 90 dollars to winterize. I paid 230 for an oil change and I thought that was ridiculous also.
    Baba booey next time you wanna toss money away on a oil change, PM me i will fly out n change it for ya for only $200, and of course i will have to take it for a test run to make sure its runnin right when Im done!!!

Sorry for the Hi-Jackin rcdragon.

I build Horsepower
    +1
    rcdragon

abmobil Post is spot on with the procedure from the owners manual.

Just do that, And since MyKull mini hyjack the thread he needs to go to the FAQ section and post it there also..

class dismissed!

Quote Originally Posted by Mykull View Post
    Baba booey next time you wanna toss money away on a oil change, PM me i will fly out n change it for ya for only $200, and of course i will have to take it for a test run to make sure its runnin right when Im done!!!

Sorry for the Hi-Jackin rcdragon.
    We have a deal just as long as you bring your avatar with you.

I am doing it myself from now on.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information