Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

My new PVC intake oil catch can and how to build.

Let me know if anyone is interested in using one of these and I'll post a more detailed how to.

With discussion of vacuum on the catch can here is my solution.
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5308

This is the main ingredient.
    http://www.powerflowracing.com/prtdetail.asp?PD=851

It has removable foam inside of it with a removable top. It has a 5/8 hose connector that you can tap to your intake.

The pvc compression coupler (in the pictures) has holes in the screw on caps. I just epoxied a bottle (aquamend cures white) into one of the holes.
    This will allow for your intake to put pressure on the crankcase and the oil will deposit into a removable catch can that can unscrew off. The oil breather on the top also has a removable top which you can take off to clean the filter. This filter will stop ANY oil from going to the intake. I also drille a tiny hole into the catch can bottle just in case it filled up it would have overflow protection and not back up the crankcase.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	compression_pvc_apart_146.jpg 
Views:	354 
Size:	11.1 KB 
ID:	3527   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	spectreperformanc.com_42795_189.jpg 
Views:	313 
Size:	23.4 KB 
ID:	3528   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	oil_can_v1_178.jpg 
Views:	479 
Size:	47.8 KB 
ID:	3529   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img_5400_156.jpg 
Views:	379 
Size:	262.6 KB 
ID:	3560   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img_5414_160.jpg 
Views:	335 
Size:	475.5 KB 
ID:	3561   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img_5413_616.jpg 
Views:	405 
Size:	484.8 KB 
ID:	3562  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img_5412_126.jpg 
Views:	283 
Size:	1.35 MB 
ID:	3563   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img_5407_118.jpg 
Views:	238 
Size:	1,011.4 KB 
ID:	3564   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img_5403_441.jpg 
Views:	258 
Size:	287.0 KB 
ID:	3565   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img_5402_166.jpg 
Views:	321 
Size:	738.2 KB 
ID:	3566  
    Attached Images Attached Images  

one question: What do you do when the foam filter inside gets saturated with oil?...PR...

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    i hear these work pretty well.... simple one-time purchase, proven to work, and no need to drive somewhere to get a bunch of odd parts to slap something together into these beautiful 11,000 dollar machines.

http://jazproducts.com/

just check their "overflows" and order the 1 Pint Mini breather with ONE fitting on it. Order one in clear if you like so u can see the levels inside it if it's catching anything.

Legend in my own mind Sirhc7897's Avatar
    You know seeing as it was only a couple of extra inches I went ahead and ordered the 1 quart version as it had a 3/4" (or similar) inlet available...

It's only an extra 4" of height and 2" of width...Ought to fit no problems...Seems like the extra couple inches of dimensions justifies not having to deal with rigging up a fitting for the right size...

Top unscrews, the foam is removable and you clean the foam in some sort of aceton I would think. It would be really hard for oil to get in the foam though. It is more of a air filter. Because of pressure the oil will go to the can and the only way oil could get to the filter is if the can filled all the way up past the bend that goes to the crankcase. Probably 3-4 cups of oil/gas but I have also put a small hole into the bottle which leaks it into the hull just in case.

Name:	crude_drawing_610.jpg 
Views:	739 
Size:	15.7 KB 
ID:	3534  

Yall are missing the point. The jazz catch can doesn't provide needed vacuum to the crankcase.
    When you installed the jazz can you went away from the original attention of the intake to put vacuum on the crankcase.

The downfall of the stock PVC was it gunked up your IC among other things. This is for the people that would like vacuum on the crankcase. If you don't want vacuum use a jazz or oil catch can with a filter on the top.

This isn't something you will problems with now, it will be something that effects you down the road.

Kinch, what they are trying to say is....

YOU DONT NEED VACCUUM ON THE CRANK!

How many people are running this Jazz catch can?? And none have come forward with any problems....

I've read plenty from other parts of the internet that prove otherwise.
    GTXX is a very knowledgable guy and he agrees. Again this modification is for the camp that would like vacuum. Look at the attached picture he seems to think vacuum pressure is needed.

Quote Originally Posted by GTXX
    The catch tanks that have a breather on them are intended to be used on an engine that have some means of crankcase evacuation other than the intake tract such as a vaccuum pump or valves in the exhaust. The correct type of catch tank if you are going to keep it tied into the intake tract does not have a breather.
    I have not studied the crankcase ventilation system on the 4 tec engine yet but I'm sure that it is no different from automotive. The hose that you are disconnecting from the air intake tract to install this catch can is intended to help create a negative pressure in the crankcase at high rpm when it is needed the most. Any increase in crankcase pressure will affect performance and eventually contribute to an oil leak. People spend a lot of time and money on race cars to get negative crankcase pressure these days and opening the system up by putting a vent in it is defeating the OEM version. I'll put an oil separator on mine but it will be inline and unvented.
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Hulk
    GTXX theory is a good idea and makes sense, but it is hard to incorporate that method of crankcase ventilation with some of these custom air intakes many of us are running.

Like PR mentioned, the huge 3/4" PCV hose evacuates very well without any form of vacuum. The reason the stock system evacuates into the air intake is for emissions.

I also noticed Franco Dettori uses a catch can type system on Cyrille Lemoines ski except he uses a coke bottle
    it would be very easy to add the hook up back to an aftermarket air intake, simply weld a tube the size of your hose in the air intake tube perpindicular to the airflow. To work best it should slightly protrude into the intake tube. To demonstrate to yourself this principle, put some water in a coke bottle and blow straight across the end of the bottle with an airhose, it will suck the water out. At low rpm it will be more of a vent but when airflow gets high it will create a vacuum, and that's a good thing.

Name:	rxt_air_setup_903.jpg 
Views:	714 
Size:	40.9 KB 
ID:	3535  

Read here in GTXX post....

"I have not studied the crankcase ventilation system on the 4 tec engine"

Go look at a Sport bike forum (suzuki Hayabusa, Honda...ect...) Ask them if they have vaccuum on their crankcase...

Quote Originally Posted by Totallyblown
    Read here in GTXX post....

"I have not studied the crankcase ventilation system on the 4 tec engine"

Go look at a Sport bike forum (suzuki Hayabusa, Honda...ect...) Ask them if they have vaccuum on their crankcase...
    YES THEY DO
    http://www.krankvent.com/

http://www.smartsynthetics.com/motor...onsumption.htm

http://www.jpcycles.com/productgroup...2-8BA3B2663809
    Note: Installation requires drilling manifold for vacuum supply

http://www.sputhe.com/pistons.htm
    However the rotary valve breather system on the Harley-Davidson (which creates a vacuum in the crankcase,

I could go on and on if you like , straight from motorcycle sites.

I'm doing it if people don't think you need vacuum then go for a breather. It seems to be a contraversal subject even in the motorcycle/car world. Funny thing is the solution to fixing old cars with oil leaks is to put pressure on the crankcase.

I'm not real technical about engines but from what I have read you need it. I'm doing it because what is it going to hurt ? 5/8 hose to my intake isn't going to hurt my performance and if it helps in the long run then bonus.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information