Jet Pump Question~ Please Help

I have a '96 Kawasaki 900 zxi that i beleive is in need of a new jet pump housing. Each of the vanes have about a dimed size chip out of it where the water passes through. I was told that it is a good idea to get a new housing to avoid cavitaion...Is this true?

If so, I am in need of a new jet pump housing. I know that i can use an STX or ZXI from a 900 or 750 to replace mine, but what about an 1100. The 900 is a 140 mm inside diameter and i know that the 1100 is quite larger but I plan on getting a new impeller also so if i get the right size impeller, would the 1100 jet pump work with my engine? Or would it bog it down as it is trying to move more water?

Let me know what you all think.

Thanks

The stock pump would be the most efficient if your not heavily modifying the engine.

Going larger on pump size will slow the 900 down and you'll never be happy with it.

Do yourself a favor and stay with the stock replacement units. Maybe upgrade the prop but not the pump.

Your other option is contact IMPROS.com and they may be able to repair the housing to new condition. Usually a cost effective alternative to replacing.

That would be correct stay with the 900 pump. It would slow you down unless you had modded the crap out of the motor.

Blue,

Welcome to the Green Hulk Forums!!

Thanks guys for the info. I will keep that in mind. What kind of mods would the engine require in order to turn the impeller and keep the same speed?

Like the user "sliderz28" I also have a matching 96 kawasaki that I am painting and while we have them in several pieces, i would like to upgrade it as much possible, (within reason). Some of the options i was thinkin was the Agressor sponsons, shred-master ride plate, solas x series impeller~16/23, a pump wedge, and either the R&D aquavein or the jetdynamic topload intake grate .

Are these upgrades good choices or does anyone have better ideas?

+1
    OK, your trying to mod a 96 900 zxi right? Those mods sound good but be careful with the wedge, it might make you bounce a little more then you want. As for the solas, I wouldn't put it in unless you build the motor at least a bit. You will never run out of prop with a 23 on top, 22 is about all you will need.
    One path with the motor is to buy a high compression head for starters. It will bring you comp up to about 150 (should be about 110-120 stock). Only after you mod the head you can buy an r&d intake. The stock carbs are great for almost anything. Some prolite pistons and maybe bore the nezzle a little and you will be at about 57 mph.
    The other path takes you to Groupk.com. The do porting that is great work and will maintian most of your stock parts with about the same speed.
    Unless you go crazy your rich enough to afford some carbonfiber(if you can find it) then that's pretty much what you have to work with. Let us know what you decide to do and how it works out.

Quote Originally Posted by thesepaperwings View Post
    OK, your trying to mod a 96 900 zxi right? Those mods sound good but be careful with the wedge, it might make you bounce a little more then you want. As for the solas, I wouldn't put it in unless you build the motor at least a bit. You will never run out of prop with a 23 on top, 22 is about all you will need.
    One path with the motor is to buy a high compression head for starters. It will bring you comp up to about 150 (should be about 110-120 stock). Only after you mod the head you can buy an r&d intake. The stock carbs are great for almost anything. Some prolite pistons and maybe bore the nezzle a little and you will be at about 57 mph.
    The other path takes you to Groupk.com. The do porting that is great work and will maintian most of your stock parts with about the same speed.
    Unless you go crazy your rich enough to afford some carbonfiber(if you can find it) then that's pretty much what you have to work with. Let us know what you decide to do and how it works out.
    I have one for sale!

Thread Information