Battery acid buildup

Every winter when I put away my ski I notice a buildup all over my battery and my regulator/rectifier...I clean it best I can but I got a brown discolorization in that area. Are you guys using anything to pre spray your battery or that general area to help.... Know of any products that would help me out..Sorry I'm a noob

P.S. Is any of that gonna mess up my regulator
    Last edited by RXP_Noah; 01-10-2008 at 06:27 PM.

Talking acid build-up residue

The acid build-up is due to your battery drain hole which is pointing down to the rectifier bracket when it drains the water residue everytime you ride your ski. It happen to my brand new ski when I first rode it I noticed that this acid was eating my rectifier and battery hold down bracket. . The solution is simple: Go to any Marine supplier store and buy a 6-7 feet long see through drain hose the size of your battery drain nozzle (which is on the top side of your battery) and redirect it to drain the battery fluid under the engine, so when you finish washing your engine bay after you ride, everything gets flush right down your flush system.

there is supposed to a battery vent hose from the factory that goes outside the hull through a chck valve on all ski's, it's probably there but not connected to the battery.

Thanks for the help. Is there any type of solution that I could put on the already damaged area to make it resist that acid.........My brother told me I should pour coke all over the battery and parts..I thought I should use something that would last a little longer?

Quote Originally Posted by RXP_Noah View Post
    Thanks for the help. Is there any type of solution that I could put on the already damaged area to make it resist that acid.........My brother told me I should pour coke all over the battery and parts..I thought I should use something that would last a little longer?
    If your talking about acid burn, which your batt. has, to discontinue the corrorssion factor working on your ski parts is 1. clean the affected area. 2. lubricate it with oil or silicone products.

Quote Originally Posted by RXP300 View Post
    The acid build-up is due to your battery drain hole which is pointing down to the rectifier bracket when it drains the water residue everytime you ride your ski. It happen to my brand new ski when I first rode it I noticed that this acid was eating my rectifier and battery hold down bracket. . The solution is simple: Go to any Marine supplier store and buy a 6-7 feet long see through drain hose the size of your battery drain nozzle (which is on the top side of your battery) and redirect it to drain the battery fluid under the engine, so when you finish washing your engine bay after you ride, everything gets flush right down your flush system.
    LIKE GTTXX SAID, THERE IS A DESIGNATED STOCK FACTORY HOSE THAT IS HOOKED UP TO THAT VENT. THEY ARE COLOR CODED. RXP HAS 2 ON THE RIGHT HAND SIDE...1 for fuel vent and 1 for battery acid fumes discharge vent. I think you have a disconnected hose ???

His battery vent hose is either disconnected or missing. You can also use DW40 to clean all the rust corrosion and the battery hold down bracket. In my case my vent hose was missing so I make a vent hose my self like I post it earlier. If you don't take care of this acid/corrosion build-up, over time your battery bracket is going to crack and your battery is going to be loose inside your hull because of all tis corrosion , and repairs are going to be costly .

The best thing to do is just replace the battery with a sealed type like an Odyssey PC925L drycell--problem solved. That's what I did after the first year when I noticed some green stuff around the battery. Riva also has a sealed battery for the ski. You'll spend $100 to $150 on the battery, but who cares you'll spend 100 times that on mods.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by RXP300 View Post
    His battery vent hose is either disconnected or missing. You can also use DW40 to clean all the rust corrosion and the battery hold down bracket. In my case my vent hose was missing so I make a vent hose my self like I post it earlier. If you don't take care of this acid/corrosion build-up, over time your battery bracket is going to crack and your battery is going to be loose inside your hull because of all tis corrosion , and repairs are going to be costly .
    You mean WD40, right? or is DW40 a new and better product????? Where can I buy DW40, to try it out??????

Sorry I Was Trying To Get My Tools While Typing, I Meant Wd40

Thread Information