New to PWC's just got 98 GP800, what should I check.

Just got a 1998 GP800. It didn't run when I got it and hasn't been in the water for 2 years. I checked the compression and it's at 135 psi on both cylinders and had spark so I was comfortable it would run. Anyway I got it to start today by changing the plugs and hooking the fuel line up to small bottle of fresh gas.

It has 186 hours, don't know if it's been rebuilt, but I can tell by the marring on the pipe bolt heads that at least that has been removed at some point.

So I plan on running some fuel system cleaner through it and changing out the old gas, and flushing the coolant passages, and putting in a new battery. What are some other things I should check out prior to actually putting it in the water.

+1
    Welcome to the forum

You should post this up in the Old School section.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ChewyR View Post
    Just got a 1998 GP800. It didn't run when I got it and hasn't been in the water for 2 years. I checked the compression and it's at 135 psi on both cylinders and had spark so I was comfortable it would run. Anyway I got it to start today by changing the plugs and hooking the fuel line up to small bottle of fresh gas.

It has 186 hours, don't know if it's been rebuilt, but I can tell by the marring on the pipe bolt heads that at least that has been removed at some point.

So I plan on running some fuel system cleaner through it and changing out the old gas, and flushing the coolant passages, and putting in a new battery. What are some other things I should check out prior to actually putting it in the water.
    Do not run the fuel cleaner through it, due to it being 2-stroke and you can have issues washing down the cylinders. I would rebuild the carbs and make sure everything is ok and clean. Anytime I purchase a ski that is new to me I will rebuild the carbs. I have seen and had my ski sieze due to garbage in the carbs.

Welcome to the HULK!!!!!!!!!!!

1st get 12 beers then put in the water and hold wide open if it breaks fix it if not keep riding

Thread Information