Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Differences in supercharged 4-tech and n/a 4-tech

What are the differences between the supercharged 4-tech and the N/A non-supercharged 4-techs? thanks

Well, lets see, for starters

- Cast Pistons
    - No S/C (does it even have an S/C drive gear, or SC shaft hole?
    - different ECU
    - different intake manifold (TB is on the front) I'm actually going to run this with my external inter cooler, bet It lowers intake temps dramatically by moving it away from all the hot parts..
    - probably a diff wiring harness and different sensors, theres lots of stuff you dont need if your not running positive intake manifold pressure.

Check part numbers, that should tell you everything you need to know... I believe someone on here (Shibby?) has a 155hp base engine he's building up, hopefully he will chime in, but just check the service manual and compare part number between 155, and 215 should tell you all you need.

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    heads, valves, springs, blocks, rods, etc all identical...

wiring doens't matter... all the same inputs and outputs

differences:

PTO cover (no SC hole obviously, but the indentation from the cast is there)

double gear set on the crank... has one set of teeth for the starter, no teeth to drive a supercharger at all but the material is there, the teeth just aren't cut

camshaft

map sensor

fuel injectors

ecu

cast pistons instead of forged

.... my base powerplant is a new 2007 GTI setup.. the whole motor and electrical and management system is 2007 compoents... i'm building up my gti 4-tec motor for a turbo

mitch411rxp also is very knowledgeable on this subject

Hmm.. Guess thats kinda Ideal for a turbo build-up haha. Just curious what the cost is going to be to "SCIC" it?

+1
    if u want to make it supercharged it's not cheap... bc u need all the stuff in the list above... if u paid retail to make a GTI a supercharger 215 HP motor you would be looking at like 2000 in retailed parts... u'd have to scrounge up used parts to make that conversion worthwhile

for a turbo build... just throw pistons and a cam in it and ur done and ready to handle a reasonable amount of boost

why r u choosing a gti..because u want to make the fastest gti?

actually just after seeing the loaded GTI Racing one...now i understand...never even thought about the gti as a racing ski...i guess everyone focuses on the rxp/rxts because they have most stock hp...but that person claimed over 300 with the GTI...i was impressed

+1
    i'm using a GTI powerplant... not a GTI hull...

building a GPRXP conversion... see the link at the bottom of my post for Turbocharged rotax GPR

that is why i was saying when they first came out with the rxp 155, that would make a nice turbo starter. the cost especially now is down cause they didn't sell that well. they don't have trim but a hydro trim hooks up quick and easy. run a big turbo and pipe all your stuff like the intercooler to the front yeah you will have a litle loss but you set up for that.

It was late when I posted that last night. What I meant to say, was I wonder what the cost would be to make that a turbo ready engine, I.E. pistons,cam,MAP,etc...

Thats actually perfect for a turbo ski, I'm a bit jealous the S/C hole is already plugged, no I/C holes to plug up. Plus I would LOVE to get my hands on that flywheel, I bet you could shave some serious weight off that thing. Make that engine rev up REAL quick.. Or maybe that aspect doesn't apply in marine applications, dunno? Would retaining RPM's when off throttle, outweigh a faster revving engine, for a ski?

PLUS the TB is on the front side of the engine, which I DEFINITELY is a much cooler place for it to be, compared to chillin back there with the hot J-pipe, supercharger heat, and water box bleed off, its hot back there!!! mount the IC up front too. I already bought a 155 manifold, for these reasons, and am setting up my GPRXP for the I/C to be in the front of the ski, for a front side of the engine TB. I do believe there is a filter built inside the manifold, I'm going to have to take it apart and look, may try and smooth things out while I'm in there....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information