Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

My new sports camera

I didn't now these existed till I went camera shopping it's actually good to 10 feet should be great for the ski's? Z

nicee where and $$ did you get it?
    looking for a second camera also for water conditions so i won't ruin my canon powershot s5is 80 mega pixel while riding

I got it at circuit city for 250.00 olympus also sells on ebay ( so called refurb's for less) Z

thanks

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    I have another model Olympus, and also purchased, then returned, the predecessor SW770 waterproof camera. Overall, I think it is a fine camera.

Be aware that the Olympus/Fuji xD memory cards are internally more fragile than SD and Compact Flash cards. The reformat function is only a mid-level format, and cannot recover the card from some errors.

When reading them in a computer, be careful to not use the computer to edit or delete photos from the card. Use the camera for that. Reformat the card in the camera whenever you can, rather than just deleting them in the camera. Most of the time it works just fine, then one day it doesn't, and the card is toast.

Be sure to stop using the camera when the battery starts to get low. If the camera battery dies while the camera is storing a photo to the card, the card can become corrupt. I lost a few cards to this, before I realized what was killing the cards.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    I have another model Olympus, and also purchased, then returned, the predecessor SW770 waterproof camera. Overall, I think it is a fine camera.

Be aware that the Olympus/Fuji xD memory cards are internally more fragile than SD and Compact Flash cards. The reformat function is only a mid-level format, and cannot recover the card from some errors.

When reading them in a computer, be careful to not use the computer to edit or delete photos from the card. Use the camera for that. Reformat the card in the camera whenever you can, rather than just deleting them in the camera. Most of the time it works just fine, then one day it doesn't, and the card is toast.????

Be sure to stop using the camera when the battery starts to get low. If the camera battery dies while the camera is storing a photo to the card, the card can become corrupt. I lost a few cards to this, before I realized what was killing the cards.
    Two of the biggest killers of removable memory of any type is ESD and the failure to eject the card via the remove hardware icon in the system tray.

I have deleted many thousands of pictures from my SD cards with my PC with no issues. Maybe I am just lucky.

Keep in mind that flash type memory has a read/write limit. Although it gets better all of the time; the last track I had it was around 250,000 read or writes. This means that if you use it often enough, it will eventually fail.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1

Arrow Olympus/Fuji xD camera memory card precautions

Quote Originally Posted by axgrider73 View Post
    ...I have deleted many thousands of pictures from my SD cards with my PC with no issues...
    The xD card design favoured by Olympus is less forgiving, hence my warning.

Reading and deleting pictures from SD and Compact Flash cards with a computer is not a problem, as long as you properly Eject the cards (as you said) from Windows before physically pulling them out of the card reader.

xD cards, however, can get messed up internally, even though you did everything correctly.

What makes matters worse, is that the xD re-formatting function has been deliberately limited with xD cards, so that some memory corruption issues cannot be corrected with the format command, which would normally fix the problem with the other memory card types. Once this corruption happens, you cannot fit it, using either the camera or the computer.

This is one of the few things I don't like about Olympus cameras - the memory card type is oddball, and touchy. And not all xD cards are compatible with all xD cameras. There are several 'types' of xD cards, and you must buy the type your camera needs.

I have lost 2 or 3 xD memory cards to this type of corruption, using a few different Olympus camera models, despite careful card removal procedures. I use my Olympus camera frequently, and it works well. I just have to be careful with how I do file deletion, and now rarely use the computer for deleting. I copy them off using the card reader, then eject the card. The card goes back into the camera, where I delete all the photos, or reformat it.

Keeping the xD card in the camera, and extracting the pictures using USB cable, also works. It is slower, and does not prevent the xD card corruption problem. If the camera battery is weak, it can increase the risk of xD card damage.

Doo It Till It Hurts! holdnon72's Avatar

Nice Camera

Thats a nice camera and not a bad price either.

Here is the camera I bought to shoot movies and photos with in the water.

It'a a Sanyo Xacti E1 Water Proof Movie Camera

It's totally waterproof so I will be posting some vids of us on the water this spring. Can't wait to use it.
    Last edited by holdnon72; 06-28-2008 at 08:17 PM.

Sweet!

i love my olympus 720, thats what i've used to make all the St. johns movies.

Ill look for the threads for the handle bar mounts i've made and posted instructions.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information