Thread: North Face gear

North Face gear

Just curious if anyone here has some north face gear. I'm looking at getting the windfall I or the Bionic jackets. Anyone have these? How good are they and comfortable at what temps?

Greenhulk Grasshopah (DRC) HallPass's Avatar
    +1
    i have a few things from Northface.. like few jackets, ski pant leg things, shirts...etc.

i have a jacket on right now infact...

point being, northface is a good brand... and you wont be disappointed. All there stuff is warm..

i am wearing that black that a lot of people have.. thats like a fleece kind of, that like chest up is like black, but a different material..

anyway this isn't that thick.. and i wore it walking like a mile with like 2 inches of ice on the ground, and some snow.. and i never got cold...

there BA jackets.. and are warm, look good, and are a good brand!

I'd get either one personally... there is a northface store like 45 minutes from me, so it's kind of nice to try them on, and then go home.. and you can find them usually cheaper online... hense there like $150+

Well the difference between them is that the bionic is rated to 5cfm and the other is 20cfm for wind resistance. I can get either one for free through my job's rewards program. I'm just trying to decide if the extra 1,000 points ($25 roughly) is worth the difference for the more expensive one, especially living in Texas.

Greenhulk Grasshopah (DRC) HallPass's Avatar
    +1
    oh... right on, i have no clue... sorry man..

i would suggest maybe seeing if there is like a outdoor place or a northface dealer in your area... that you could try one on at...

Quote Originally Posted by HallPass View Post
    oh... right on, i have no clue... sorry man..

i would suggest maybe seeing if there is like a outdoor place or a northface dealer in your area... that you could try one on at...
    I'm thinking i'd probably be fine with the lighter weight jacket. Especially since this winter hasn't been that cold. The "Bionic" is listed right under the "Denali" and that looks to be for some serious cold weather.

Here's the description for the "Bionic": Protect yourself from the elements in the Bionic jacket from The North Face. The jacket is made of four-way stretch Apex Universal Weatherblock fabric to provide maximum wind resistance, thermal capability and extreme water-resistance. The jacket is wind-permeability rated at 5 CFM and features two hand pockets, Velcro adjustable cuffs and a hem cinch cord.

And the "Windfall I": This jacket from The North Face blocks breezes yet remains comfortably breathable, making it perfect for outdoor aerobic activities. The jacket is made of microfleece bonded by brushed tricot and has a cinch-cord waist, brushed collar lining and wind permeability rated at 20 CFM.

+1
    I have a North face jacket, it's just the Gore-Tex shell, don't remember the name. I think I got it when I first started going to college, some 10 years ago. I do wear on a regular bases, the only other jacket I wear more is my Carhartt. I do like the North face backpacks, just got another since I have misplaced (lost) my old one. Whatever North Face product you get it will last a good long time.

I got my first North Face back pack when I started high school, and it lasted until I got out of college.

+1
    I found the Bionic jacket, but I think you mean the Windwall. Both are Fleece jackets, and very comfortable. I have a fleece vest, that I use as a liner for my jacket and sometimes just as a vest.

I would go by REI and try them on. You will be happy with either one you get.

Quote Originally Posted by cbrich View Post
    I found the Bionic jacket, but I think you mean the Windwall. Both are Fleece jackets, and very comfortable. I have a fleece vest, that I use as a liner for my jacket and sometimes just as a vest.

I would go by REI and try them on. You will be happy with either one you get.
    Yeah I meant windwall, my bad. I think i'm going for the bionic. Read some reviews and it seems like it'll be what I'm looking for. The windwall seems like it would be a little too light for what I really want. Thanks for the input guys!

Legend in my own mind Sirhc7897's Avatar
    TNF's warranty is second to none....I was a avid backpacker for many years and swear by their stuff....Now that I spend lots of time in the field for my job (surveying project manager) I still spend a great deal of time in their equipment and have nothing but good reports of it...

To give you a idea of their warranty backing:
    I was on a hiking trip on a rainy, winter day and realized my Mountain Light jacket (which I had owned for years at that point) had a rip in the gore tex lining across the middle of my back (no clue how that happened)...Obviously I really had no choice but to field patch it with some duct tape (it was that or get soaked and freeze) so I cut open the inner liner and patched the rip with the DT...

Upon getting home I pulled the duct tape off (which took even more gore tex lining with it), packaged it up with a letter explaining my situation and sent it off for repairs. I even clearly stated in the letter that this was not a warranty claim but that I needed the jacket repaired quickly for another upcoming trip (about a month off) and to notify me ahead of time if the cost would exceed $200...

Three weeks later a brand new version of the Mountain Light jacket showed up at my door with no bill....I called to confirm and they stated my old jacket had a "color transfer issue" and therefore they replaced it...

To take it a step further, my original jacket had been yellow and that particular years Mountain Light jacket they sent as a replacement was not offered in yellow but the one they sent me was yellow with that years current features and better gore tex material. They custom made me one in yellow to replace my previous one...

Needless to say, customer for life...IMO, that kind of warranty coverage makes the high cost more than worth it...

Quote Originally Posted by cbrich View Post
    ...I would go by REI and try them on. You will be happy with either one you get.
    I didnt know you had REI stores in Texas. I buy a lot of stuff there. What I really like about REI is their customer satisfaction guarantee. REI replaced a $400 gps for me when plug corroded. I dont know of many other retailers that would do that.

Thread Information