Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advice on what to buy??

Hey all. Just joined. I want to buy a seadoo jet boat. I was wondering what would be a good boat to buy? IM looking at the speedster 200. I dont need the 430 hp model because i dont live on a lake. zi plan on taking it out at the beach. ANy models that are better than the others. I would use the boat for fun and tubing and what not. I do not plan on going out in to the open ocean at all lol. Any advice? thanks. ALSO... I am looking in to used seadoo jet boats as well. I dont mind that they arent new so thats not a problem. Is used the way to go or should i buy new? And does yamaha make jet boats or are they propreller? if they make jet boats which brand is better? Thanks again.
    Last edited by johnathanrn; 01-15-2008 at 05:51 PM.

+1
    Welcome to the forum

Im sure some of the veterans in the sports boat section will give you some great advice

my buddy had a speedster 200 with 430 hp. it was stock, i never had a chance to drive it but he's an experienced boater and he said it had terrible dock manners. my cousin has a sportster SCIC 215 and i drive it all the time, it rides pretty good for only being 15 ft. but it too handles bad around the docks. NO SHORTAGE OF POWER

GOOD LUCK!!! idk if yamaha jet boats are any better, ive never had a chance to drive them.

I have a Utopia SE and love it. I wanted something that looked like a traditional run-about yet drives like a ski; no complaints here. With jetboats you just gotta learn how to feather them around the docks, that's all. It takes a little while.

As far as Yami, I've talked to a few owners and it sound like they've had problems with the hulls cracking. They additionally do not have the performance of the SeaDoo's. You'll be surprised how you can make the SeaDoo's jump in the water.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.....

Doo It Till It Hurts! holdnon72's Avatar
    It really depends on how many people you plan to have with you most of the time. It's just Me,My Wife and My Black Lab, So I went with the 4 seater sportster, now called a speedster 150. If you plan on having 4 or more people in your boat most of the time then the speedster 150 will be to small.

My sportster was hard to control at first while docking but I'm use to it now and no problems .

Talking

I got an 05 Challenger 180 with the 215hp SCIC engine, i totally love that boat, my only concern was i felt it a bit limited on the power output stock at 46 mph top speed...did quite few modifications on it (very easy to get useful info around here, and good used parts too at a fair price from members who upgrades). Overall a very nice little boat that can ride 8 persons, i personnally ride it few times with 4 adults and 2 childs, and honeslty it still rides good.

This is quite reasonable on fuel consuption...15-20$ an hour depending on your habits of drivings, the hull is very good, i jumped few times high enough to take the whole hull out of the water....and it landed perfectly with no hurts or rattles...so it's quite confortable too.

Just a 2 cents...swap out the ceramic washers for metal ones, on any supercharged engine...then you'll be left with a very reliable set-up after.

Good luck.

I've been boating for 48 years now in all types of waters (ocean, lakes, rivers). I also hold a captain's license. As for the jet boats handling poorly around the dock, thats rubbish. The truth is, they handle better than any boat I've had the pleasure to operate. It is true they take a little getting used to as they operate differnetly than a prop driven boat. My first docking attempt could have gone on America's Funniest Videos. But with very little practice, they are easy to master.

Quote Originally Posted by smclear View Post
    I've been boating for 48 years now in all types of waters (ocean, lakes, rivers). I also hold a captain's license. As for the jet boats handling poorly around the dock, thats rubbish. The truth is, they handle better than any boat I've had the pleasure to operate. It is true they take a little getting used to as they operate differnetly than a prop driven boat. My first docking attempt could have gone on America's Funniest Videos. But with very little practice, they are easy to master.
    I agree although I don't hold a captains license I have owned boats all my life. Operaters forget that the forward nuetral reverse detents are a refference and its OK to go in between when docking. It is also o.k. to use nuetral

What kind of water do you boat on? We know it has a beach but does it have areas for WOT ? Although you may not see it now more power may make you happier. I have been on and owned under power boats and wish I had stepped up to the better power package.

Doo It Till It Hurts! holdnon72's Avatar
    Good point! I use nuetra alot when docking..The boat will still move foward slowly while in nuetral. Also when your starting the engine in the water while leaving the dock, Make sure the steering wheel is at 12 O clock position so the boat won't try to turn on you after you start it.

That's totally true, i like jet better than a propeller drive....for an example....

Put it in neutral.....the jet hoovers in place....turn the steering wheel one side or the other....the jet rotate on itself on 360 degree...!

While docking....i usually do this....approach close to 10 feet idling forward, just put it in neutral for few seconds to slow it down, then a small glimpse on forward and immediately back to neutral (repeat as many times as necessary)....the boat makes a slow push forward, then slows again...do so until you reach the side of the dock....then you just put it in neutral, turn just a bit the steering...to touch the deck either front ot rear, tie it down....turn the steering the other way....here it is....touching the dock at the other end....tie it down...it's over.

Too often peoples attend to make quick moves...thus resulting in weird reactions...i know i did it at the start...it is like when you ride at low speed....
    Last edited by Jeepster; 01-16-2008 at 05:55 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information