Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 41
  1. #1
    Steve STSPERFORMANCE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Cambridge, Ohio
    Posts
    2,701
    +1
    116

    Talking 2008 RXT X Modified intake grate

    I have heard of cutting the side wings off of the rxp x intake grate to gain more top speed. Has anyone done this on th RXT X and if so, what were the gains? Also, does the pump load correctly after doing this or is cavitation increased in rough water?

    Thanks for the help


  2. #2
    Site Admin Green Hulk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Morgan City, LA
    Posts
    36,398
    +1
    2,524
    RXP6 has already cut the outer wings and center bucket completely off the grate and gained speed. No cavitation out of the hole.

  3. #3
    way2fast's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Melbourne Beach, FL
    Posts
    4,009
    +1
    4
    Riva will have their grate out soon. It should beat cutting up the stock one and possibly compromising it's structual integrity....not nice when a grate fails at high speed !

    Richard
    Last edited by Green Hulk; 01-16-2008 at 03:43 PM.

  4. #4
    I don't see how you are affecting the structural integrity of the grate when you are just cutting the side wings off. They are just an attachment to the grate and support nothing, unlike the middle part of the wing that connects to both bars on the grate. To me it seems the only way you would be compromising the structural integrity is if you cut out the middle wing that connects the two bars of the grate.

    I mean you didn't affect the structure of the grate (molecular arrangement or anything). He simply cut it, didn't heat it up and cool it, weld it, etc.


    ***EDIT I see he cut the middle wing out too, but with the wing completely removed only by cutting it out I don't see how structural integrity is compromised. Seems like it would be like a stock RXP215 grate then.

  5. #5
    Steve STSPERFORMANCE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Cambridge, Ohio
    Posts
    2,701
    +1
    116
    What Gain in MPH are we lookin' at with just the modified grate?

  6. #6
    A forum member with an RXP-X went from 68mph range to 73+mph range after modding the grate.

    Quote Originally Posted by RXP6
    The day started with some 68mph runs and by the time we left the RXP-X was pulling high 73.9mph runs.

  7. #7
    TERRY bigbuck12345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    jacksonville fl
    Posts
    1,469
    I Plan To Trim Mine And See What Happens On My Rxt-x Hope It Is As Good As The P X Also Trying New Rude Charger If I Can Rig Up A Rising Rate Regulator Got The Pump Out Trying To Find A Way To Install It Because The New Pumps Have A Screw Down Cap ,,not Bolted In And We Dont Know The Flow Or The Psi Of The New Fuel Pump On The Rxt-x

  8. #8
    way2fast's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Melbourne Beach, FL
    Posts
    4,009
    +1
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by RXPkid View Post
    I don't see how you are affecting the structural integrity of the grate when you are just cutting the side wings off. They are just an attachment to the grate and support nothing, unlike the middle part of the wing that connects to both bars on the grate. To me it seems the only way you would be compromising the structural integrity is if you cut out the middle wing that connects the two bars of the grate.

    I mean you didn't affect the structure of the grate (molecular arrangement or anything). He simply cut it, didn't heat it up and cool it, weld it, etc.


    ***EDIT I see he cut the middle wing out too, but with the wing completely removed only by cutting it out I don't see how structural integrity is compromised. Seems like it would be like a stock RXP215 grate then.
    No one knows for sure if the grate really would be weakened by cutting out the middle wing. That would be up to speculation. Cast aluminum is not known for strength (sand cast ?). Even clamping it in a vice and hack sawing pieces off "might" weaken it. But more than likely it would be ok because without the wings there would be less water resistance on the grate.

    Richard

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by way2fast View Post
    But more than likely it would be ok because without the wings there would be less water resistance on the grate.
    My thinking exactly.

  10. #10
    I hate things that don't work! SearayEX12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Alexandria Bay, NY
    Posts
    526
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbuck12345 View Post
    I Plan To Trim Mine And See What Happens On My Rxt-x Hope It Is As Good As The P X Also Trying New Rude Charger If I Can Rig Up A Rising Rate Regulator Got The Pump Out Trying To Find A Way To Install It Because The New Pumps Have A Screw Down Cap ,,not Bolted In And We Dont Know The Flow Or The Psi Of The New Fuel Pump On The Rxt-x
    You'll have to let me know how the modding of the RXTX grate goes. Mine is in the garage now, but I'm in upstate ny so it will be a little while before any testing gets done. By the way great looking sea doo and congradulations!

    On a side not, will getting rid of that wing cause the pump to lose prime more often. It seems like the wing hangs down a little lower giving you a larger margin of error if you are smashing around in a chop. Just wondering all these things before I start hacking the grate up.
    Last edited by SearayEX12; 01-28-2008 at 05:18 PM.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. RXT-X rideplate & intake grate retrofit
    By 01xdime in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 01-06-2009, 12:31 AM
  2. FS: RXP-X/RXT-X Modified Intake Grate
    By MPower in forum Sea Doo Classifieds
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-08-2008, 08:16 PM
  3. F/S RXP-X or RXT-X Riva intake grate
    By beached log in forum Sea Doo Classifieds
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-02-2008, 09:31 AM
  4. Modify Intake grate
    By chris1200 in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (2-stroke)
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-22-2008, 09:42 PM
  5. Modified intake grate mount....
    By OutlawGPR in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (2-stroke)
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-14-2008, 12:18 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •