Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 1200r

1200r

I was thinking of buying a RXP earlier in the year. I found out about the probs they were having with the S/C and shyed away. I found a 2001 1200R that is supposivly great condition with low hours and it has a double place trailer. It is $4000. i NEED TO KNOW IF THIS IS A SWEET DEAL?! i looked up the kbb and that was $28XX.

Please tell me if u have knowledge in this area.

I like trouble free operation and everybody says to buy a yam.
    Thanks.

+1
    It all depends on the condition of the ski. How many hours are on it? Is it mint (stored inside), has it seen salt water, rebuilt, upgraded?

4K could be a good deal or a bad deal. The ski is seven years old. Are you or do you have any friends that are savvy to GPR's?

The ski is stock. I dont have any friends that could help out. We are in Michigan, so no salt. He says it looks like the day he got it. He said "really low hours". DO THEY HAVE AN HOUR METER?

Also, people from MI, or OHIO...let me know if this is a good deal in our market. Please.

Thanks for your response.

Quote Originally Posted by spud View Post
    It all depends on the condition of the ski. How many hours are on it? Is it mint (stored inside), has it seen salt water, rebuilt, upgraded?

4K could be a good deal or a bad deal. The ski is seven years old. Are you or do you have any friends that are savvy to GPR's?

+1
    Yes there is an hour meter. you have to crank the motor for a few seconds and the meter will come up on the dash display.

NOW what i need to know is what kind of hours people are getting out of these 1200r engines. I know there are always outliers...but what is an average hours people are gettin out of these engines? Are they similar to the current 1300r engines?

Thanks.

+1
    Supercharger probs ----thats a thing of the past. There is a HUGE difference between a RXP and a older GPR (when both are stock).

A double trailer could go from 600-1000 depending on type and condition.

SO NO ONE HAS AN OPINION?! Please i need some feed back.

By the way...when i was lookin at the RXPs that seemed to be the only major concern with those machines. There are ceramic bearings i believe that can break and cause damage to the engine. I wish the S/C probs were a thing of the past. But now for 08 they make metal bearings and it is not a problem. I am not an expert by any means...but i think that is the story.

Are there a vast variety of differences between the current 1300r and this 01' 1200r? This may sound dumb to some, but not to me.

+1
    4K is a good deal if the ski is super clean , passes a visual inspection for corrosion, rust etc..... and has good compression (120 in all three). Depends on what the heck trailer you are talking about to give a real answer.

If you look in the classifieds here you will see one of the cleanest 2000 ski's anyone has sold around here in a long time.

+1
    In my mind, a "good" deal is 3,500 for the set up. Four grand is not a "good" deal, especially this time of year. If this were spring time it would be a "good" deal and a "great" deal at 3500. Five hundred bucks here or there makes little difference though when you consider how much watercraft AND trailer you are getting. We're talking serious fun here.

It takes a lot of time and riding to outgrow a GPR, so 4k for a super clean one (double trailer included) is not really a "bad" deal. There are many years of riding fun for 4K. Put it another way, if you rode this boat for two years and sold the hole set up for 2k, you would not have lost a thing. Depreciating 1k per year is not unusual.

To answer your question, it is not unusual for people to register 300-400 (and even more) hrs of casual riding on a Yamaha... they are built for reliability. Racing hours is a different story. Why do you think so many renters use Yamaha? Reliability.

I would suggest that you check with the owner to find what type of oil they used. Yamalube is a very good quality semisynthetic oil, but it has a tendency to gunk up the valves. For this reason, they have to be cleaned on occasion. I believe that it states this in the owners manual. If the owners have not cleaned the valves, then you can use this as leverage to get them to drop the price 2-300 bucks since it is the first thing that I suggest that you do to keep the GPR problem free. After you get them cleaned, use a full synthetic to help keep the valves clean. Amsoil is one of many that comes to mind.

Get the boat checked out, and make sure it is what the seller says that it is. Ask for some jackets.

Hope this helps.

it will run till the day you die, if you dont mind wrenching a little... seriously....

and throwing some cash at it..
    Last edited by RDH; 01-19-2008 at 02:23 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information