Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: To buy a GPR?

To buy a GPR?

Hey everybody, i hope this thread is in the right place.
    I've recently started racing and have a built a competitive 99 XPL. But i'm looking to upgrade this year and was looking for an honest opinion on the 1300R as a race ski as noone in my area owns or races one. It looks as if rumoured ajsba rule changes will allow ecu's on 2 strokes and not on the fours, and i'm trying to work on a budget to build a ski to be competitive against the rxp. can the gpr reach competitive performance easily? (unbiased opinion please )
    I've heard about the pump reinforcement issue, is it a big drama or not? Is the SMC easy to repair if chipped or small cracks opposed to fibreglass. I was leaning towards the RXP but am looking for something that turns alot more agressively. Think that is about all for now, any help is well appreciated.

RedBull

P.S Any year model ok? were there ever any issues with certain year models i.e xp exhaust washers (besides the pump on the gpr)

Thumbs up

yea the gpr is a great all around race ski with just a few bolt-ons and simple mods you should see low to mid 70's what are your riding conditions and elevation?

Mostly surf racing in about 1-2m swell, and i ride in australia mate so the elevation is pretty low. My main reason for thinkin about the gpr is i'm looking to build it all myself as i did my xp, superchargers and valves are a lil to complicated for me at the moment lol. can anyone name any top gpr tuners i can talk to in aus?

Moderated
    we have a few decent tuners here, what state are you in?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by izz0 View Post
    we have a few decent tuners here, what state are you in?
    Quote Originally Posted by redbull View Post
    ...I ride in australia...

Moderated
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post

australia is not a state, its a country.

i'm in north queensland, not many yamaha dealers here, or not any worth giving good money to lol. i was looking to talk to someone with the tuning experience before i jumped off the xp, i'm seriously considering the gpr as long i can secure a test ride. after wat i've read on here it sounds like a very capable craft

Moderated
    they are....theres quite a few good tuners up in qld, way more then down here.

speak to the guys on ozpwc.com, most of them are up there and they will be able to point you in the right direction of a respected tuner. everyone on here will help too fi you want to tune yourself with a bit of help.

because of where i live most tuners in brisbane are at least 18 hours drive from me lol. so my plan to discuss the build with someone, purchase the parts and do it myself. which is the best gpr for racing, carb'd or efi? at the moment i am thinking about gettin an 08

Well right now the EFI ski is with out an ECU. It will be out very very soon though or so we are told. It is the Advent T4 EFI ECU. They have other T4 units out but the EFI one is not out yet. Some have been told by next months end it will be out. There is an EFI controller out from RIVA it just won't be as good as the Advent unit though.

Either way you go you will want the do the usual. Reeds, Head, Intake, D-Plate, Free Flow (maybe), Aftermarket grate, Jetworks Kit for the holeshot, and possibly a pump upgrade to 2005+ specs if you get a 2003 or 2004. You can go from mild to wild. I am not sure of the rules you have to stay within but if you could throw those up we would point you in the right direction for sure.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information