Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Cool 180 Challenger or 205 Utopia

Hello everyone,

I'm currently in the market of buying a new Seadoo jet boat. I'm sick of Inboard/Outboard and the maintenance that goes with them.
    I have done extensive research on the Seadoo's and have made up my mind to purchase one. I'm kind of torn between two of them....the 180 SE challenger or the 205 SE utopia. My family and friends like to do the usual activities while boating (i.e. tubing, kneeboarding, skiing). We also do quite a bit of lounging on the water. We typically run in rivers (some salt/some fresh).
    Aside from the obvious differences between the two models (ie size, hp, features, weight and $$$$$), is there any thing else I should be considering when trying to decide between the two????
    My better half doesn't want to spend the money on the 205, I don't agree. I believe she would like the added space and comfort. Can anyone give some insight upon ownership of the two.

I personally have a Utopia 205 SE and absolutely love it. I did about 4 months of research on different boats before I purchased it. You'll be very happy with the performance and size of this boat. I have it for my wife and three kids and couldn't ask for anything more..........Let me know if you have any questions.

Good luck.

How is your fuel consumption on the 205???

I really do not keep track of it. I usually fill it up and it will last me about 5-6 times out on the lake. If I'm hammering on the boat, doing 360's, and goofing around about 4 times. Otherwise when I'm running the Mississippi river I can usually make it about 70-80 miles WOT on 3/4 tank. It's never been a concern because it gets pretty good mileage.

Thanks for the info. I appreciate it. I'll let you know what I end up doing.

The stock C180 runs at around 15-20$ an hour....the Utopia 2 stroke runs around 25$ an hour...can'T tell for the 4strokes one...i'd say 2x155HP should be close to around 30$ an hour...(all riden normally at cruising speeds around 25-30 mph)

I personnally like my C180 better than an Utopia....now why...?

The 2strokes one are smoking oil....noisy....more costly and do not take the big waves as good as mine.....i do not like the cream /beige color too.

The 4strokes are more silents than the 2strokes, yet they still do take more fuel than my C180 due to twin engines...and you double about anything that can possibly need future maintenance....pumps, impellers, wear rings, ride plates, etc....etc...that's mainly why i choosed the C180.

Other than that, these are 2 very good boats....it depends on your wallet, and preferences too....
    Last edited by Jeepster; 01-16-2008 at 05:29 PM.

i have a 1998 Challenger 1800 with 220 horsepower. It goes pretty fast, but I would go with the Utopia since you'll have either 310 or 430 horsepower, and that'll take you where you want pretty quick.

My Utopia is not a 2-stroke; it has twin 155HP 4-stroke 4-TEC's. Trust me when I will say you would definately be happy with it. I don't believe it costs me $30/ hr. to run, that seems a little steep. Maybe it's just the way I drive, but when I'm really hitting it hard non-stop I can tell that I'm using more fuel.

As far as the color, I personally like the color of the seashell beige. The website doesn't do it justice, in fact it looks terrible. In person the color is very luxurious looking. I'm not a big fan of the looks of the 03'-05' Utopia's but in 06' and newer I don't know what they did but the color schemes look much better. Make sure you go with the SE version if you get one, the additional asthetic features are definately worth it. As far as powerplants if you get the S/C model you will gain about 6-7 mph. Otherwise the twin 155's are very impressive too.......

Thanks for all the information. Good point Jeepster on double the parts cost for the utopia. I've been reading through the forums to figure out some parts that look like a must for replacing. I think I'll wait till I'm past the break in period before I do anything to the boat. I'm not worried about labor seeing how I do my own work.

I think I'm going to go with the utopia. The dealer has a leftover 07 SE and is coming off the price a bit. I have to say I think the wife will be happier with the utopia because of the amenities it comes with. I appreciate everyones input and owner information. Once I get the paperwork done, I'll be the proud owner of a Seadoo Jet Boat. . I can't wait.

Just a couple things to add as the owner of an Utopia SE 2007.
    -I too don't believe I spend $30/hr in gas. I usually put $75 worth of gas in it and it last me atleast 2 half day outings. More if we are pulling tubes.
    -I don't believe the Utopia's come with a supercharge engine option, both trimlines come with twin 155hp's
    -I basically purchased mine sight onseen. I wanted something big enough that I wouldnt regret later. We have a family of 4, 2 adults, a 3yr old, and a 17month old. Just from size prefrence I thought the Challanger would be too small. After the dealer received the boat and met me at the dock for a test drive I was shocked by how much bigger it was than I was expecting. If you plan on storing this boat in a garage it may be too big. I have a double garage and have to put the boat in on an angle and tuck the trailer tongue in so it fits.
    -There are two things on the boat I wish where different. The first thing I wish it had was an hour meter. I added a simple hour meter that just wraps around a spark plug wire and stays in the engine compartment. I guess they may be a better solution since when its time to sell I can easily remove it. The second thing is they should have made some way for the engine hatch to stay open by itself. It's a pain doing any work in the engine compartment with the hatch, it may be better to remove it if you are doing something major under there. Even with these two inconviences I still love the boat.
    -I too think the color scheme makes the boat look more 'luxurious' along with the dashboard trim.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information