Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

Lightbulb Titan trailer light problem

On December 23rd I was pulled over by the local police (Oldsmar) for speeding and trailer lights not working.
    The officer was nice enough to give me a fine for the lights only, and no speeding. I also have one month to fix the problem which can save me around $70.00 for the light ticket.
    Yesterday I looked at it. The fuses are ok, but I am not getting 12V out at the plug.
    Any suggestions, or should I take it in to Nissan? I dont want to spend too much time troubleshooting this since I have to get it resolved by Monday.

thanks.

Do they work, but are dim?

+1
    not dim, dont work at all. You think it may be a grounding problem?

that would be my first guess, I had an issue with my friends trailer where the lights all worked but were dim. the answer was the flasher.

Quote Originally Posted by sstaino View Post
    need more info! what year nissan, is it new, is it an Xterra?...

most OEM trailer packages have their own lighting system as to not tax the vehicles lighting system. som there should be a relay, 2 if it`s the X.
    also follow the 4 plug or 7 plug connector at the rear bumper to where it ties into the vehicles wiring harness, should also be a plug there, that may be corroded.

when you say you don`t have 12 volts, is it on all lighting circuits, left right turn brake, and parking lamps?

if you have a converter in your vehicle it may also be bad...
    never an easy thing to check/prove if you don`t know your way around the electrical system of your car...

when I bought the X new in 05, it came with a trailer towing package, "EXCEPT" the damn harness that holds the relay`s and connectors. I had to go back to Nissan and pay another 60+ dollars to hook it up, What crap is that! ...PR...

+1
    Check that also and check the fuse. You need this bad boy if you have a 4 prong. My friend just bought a new GM truck with the trailer package that did not work. Come to find out it does not come with the fuse so they say. $60.00 for the stupid thing.
    http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...=SearchResults

SeaSense® EZ Troubleshooter Trailer Light Circuit Tester

LED technology for longer, brighter performance! This 4-way circuit tester takes the guess work out of trailer light problems. Simply plug it into your vehicle's 4-way flat towing plug, operate your vehicle's turn signals, lights and brakes. When power is present, that circuit's light will glow green. Incorporates built-in male and female ends--never has to be removed!

Place Order Below
    Last edited by 800AMSOIL4U; 01-16-2008 at 06:28 PM.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Pale Rider View Post
    need more info! what year nissan, is it new, is it an Xterra?...

most OEM trailer packages have their own lighting system as to not tax the vehicles lighting system. som there should be a relay, 2 if it`s the X.
    also follow the 4 plug or 7 plug connector at the rear bumper to where it ties into the vehicles wiring harness, should also be a plug there, that may be corroded.

when you say you don`t have 12 volts, is it on all lighting circuits, left right turn brake, and parking lamps?

if you have a converter in your vehicle it may also be bad...
    never an easy thing to check/prove if you don`t know your way around the electrical system of your car...

when I bought the X new in 05, it came with a trailer towing package, "EXCEPT" the damn harness that holds the relay`s and connectors. I had to go back to Nissan and pay another 60+ dollars to hook it up, What crap is that! ...PR...
    1. Nissan Titan 2006
    2. All circuits
    3. Where is the converter located?
    4. I had to purchase the two relays (expensive), fuses, plug, and spliced it with the harness on the vehicle.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 800AMSOIL4U View Post
    Check that also and check the fuse. You need this bad boy if you have a 4 prong. My friend just bought a new GM truck with the trailer package that did not work. Come to find out it does not come with the fuse so they say. $60.00 for the stupid thing.
    http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...=SearchResults

SeaSense® EZ Troubleshooter Trailer Light Circuit Tester

LED technology for longer, brighter performance! This 4-way circuit tester takes the guess work out of trailer light problems. Simply plug it into your vehicle's 4-way flat towing plug, operate your vehicle's turn signals, lights and brakes. When power is present, that circuit's light will glow green. Incorporates built-in male and female ends--never has to be removed!

Place Order Below
    Nice little tester

1. Nissan Titan 2006
    2. All circuits
    3. Where is the converter located?
    4. I had to purchase the two relays (expensive), fuses, plug, and spliced it with the harness on the vehicle.

I had to remove the front right lower kick panel to install relay package.
    the fuses should be under the hood in the electrical power box.
    I would check out what you installed and go from there. check the power at the relay connections with a test lite. of course you need to turn on the headlamps circuit or turn on the Hazards for the brake/turn circuits...

I don`t think you`d have a conversion box in that vehicle, the relay package is what completes the cicuits.
    where the seven pin connector or the 4 flat connector (which ever one you have) connects to the vehicles harness in the rear, check to see if power exsists there...

without the vehicle in front of me there is little i can do but try and explain where to look...PR...

If you are using a new reciver hitch, then you need to wait untill some of the paint wears off so it will make a good conection for the ground.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information