Looking at a '97 xp...any issues?

Hey everyone. I ride a polaris but my girlfriend is looking for a boat too. Budget is $1500. Since so many boats are going on sale during the winter I've been looking around a good bit. Found a 1997 SeaDoo XP right near me that sounds like a good deal. I saw book on it was $2360 and the guy is asking $1300 with trailer. Motor was rebuilt 2 years ago, new battery, new steering cable, new starter, new starter switch, and complete tune up at the end of the season. Cosmetically it looks pretty good and sounds just fine mechanically. The boat was originally in Florida and I know about what can happen with saltwater, so am slightly concerned about that. Are there any issues I need to know about? Does this sound like a good boat to get into?? I want to go look at it this weekend and am anxious to hear yalls input!! Thanks!!

Kyle
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12jan08 055.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	542.5 KB 
ID:	53071   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12jan08 056.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	538.0 KB 
ID:	53072   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12jan08 058.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	549.2 KB 
ID:	53073  

The ski's have taken a "backseat" to the Corvette DarthAWM's Avatar
    Only thing I can really think of off the top of my head is the '97 787 xp's are underpowered when compared to the '96 xp's and '98 and later XPL's. other than that it seems to be a nice boat at a good price.

hmm...shouldnt be a problem ans it should be fast enough for her still but thats worth mentioning, thanks!! what is the hp and why is it lower than the other years?

+1
    Do a compression test on the cylinders, I have a polaris and recently bought a '95 xp 800, for speeds I'm getting around 57mph stock

Quote Originally Posted by Fish Man View Post
    hmm...shouldnt be a problem ans it should be fast enough for her still but thats worth mentioning, thanks!! what is the hp and why is it lower than the other years?
    Its actually the same HP as the '96 but the 97's are an entirely new hull that is heavier and rides deeper in the water. th 98's went to the 951 motor thus had better power.

Definatly check compression. and before it gets warm check and see if the grey "Tempo" fuel lines have been replaced. If the lines are grey with "Tempo" stamped on them then either order rebuild kits for the carbs or have them rebuilt by a reputable shop.

Also, remeber this is one of the trickier boats to board in deep water.

whats up with the tempo lines?? thanks for the info about the hull/power. good to know about re-boarding. we are both young and athletic so i dont imagine it will be a big issue but something to think about for sure. some good info yall have given me so i really appreciate that but as of right now it still sounds grrrrreat!!

Quote Originally Posted by Fish Man View Post
    whats up with the tempo lines?? thanks for the info about the hull/power. good to know about re-boarding. we are both young and athletic so i dont imagine it will be a big issue but something to think about for sure. some good info yall have given me so i really appreciate that but as of right now it still sounds grrrrreat!!
    The wonderful folks a then Bombardier before they decided to be BRP, decided to equip the skis with lines the are less than fuel resistant. The beautiful grey lines were equiped from 94-02, I believe, and oh so greatly, rot from the inside out. The good news is 20' of new line (5/16" I believe but you can take one secition of at first and use it to compare at the auto parts store) and about 20-25 screw clamps and you're set about $50 and an hours worth of labor easy to do if you take it one piece of line at a time.

gotcha, that sucks. I ran all new lines on my polaris as well so that should be no big deal to do

+1
    check hood seals where the steering cable goes thru, early XP hulls were not as water tight, do a board search at sea-doo.net
    pump oil needs to be changed every 50 hrs or once a year (or every 2 years)
    check the VTS to make sure it works.
    engine is a good one, 110 hp, lots of mods available.
    check the wear ring and impeller, any dings or scratches will make it cavitiate.
    very important, this is a very wet riding hull, you will get soaked if theres any chop or swells, unless its total glass and no turns, this ski will totally soak you in a few minutes.
    bow spray deflector helps.

Thread Information