Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

150 Speedster Bimini Top Pics and Stereo questions

I'm Buying a 2007 Speedster 150, 155hp and I plan to add a bimini top to it this summer. Can someone post pics of the bimini top in the up position, tell me how you like or dislike it and how the top perfroms under speed? Tks All...
    Last edited by alloy89; 01-20-2008 at 09:07 AM.

There is a maximum speed warning on them, check carefully what's written on the label , high speeds could damage it.

keep in mind that at 35+mph...if you happen to face a gust of wind of let's say...5 mph....or jump some big waves shaking the top poles with the wind...you can damage it...excitements calls for the top to be down.

I've had mine at 57mph, both open and closed, and no harm was done, but Jeepster's right about the speed warning on them; it's surely a good idea to keep it under 40mph. Opens, closes and goes down quickly; the bimini can be laid down on the engine cover where it's safe, but it still scrubs 1/2mph of WOT speed there. When performing extreme maneuvers, I can feel the difference in the seat-of-my-pants sensor between the top up and down. While up, I think the wind catches it and slightly changes the center of gravity in the spins & turns.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1000194.JPG 
Views:	4617 
Size:	2.11 MB 
ID:	53140  

Thanks All. VX1 do you also have a pic of your top open? How is the clearance for getting onto the rear deck?

No pics as of yet with it open. It does not impede getting in the rear deck at all, unless of course, you have it laying on top of the rear deck (and in that case, it only takes a second to lift it up and out of the way). When installed correctly, it doesn't get in the way of the nighttime light pole either. Mine is usually completely off the boat, because I'm usually testing my top speed abilities after a mod, but I'm hoping I get my $600 worth of use out it this next summer.

VX1, Isee from your pic that you ahve aftermarket speakers. What are and how do you like them? Are you still using the stock head unit?

Doo It Till It Hurts! holdnon72's Avatar
    Alloy89

If your looking to upgrade from your stock clarion speakers I have a perfect solution. I just purchased a pair of Alpine SPS-M600 2 Way Marine Speakers to replace my stock Clarions.

These Alpines have the same exact mounting holes as the stock Clarions. And also the diameter is the same so you will not need to drill any new holes.

Also these Alpines have Huge Magnets on them unlike the stock Clarions so they are a nice upgrade. I went with a Clarion M475 Head-Unit and that will plug directly into your existing Clarion/Sea Doo Radio Wire Harness. I went with M475 So I can have Sirius Satellite radio. Also the M475 has 21 RMS Watts and is alot more powerfull then the stock Clarion Head-Units that Sea Doo installs at the factory.

But the Alpines will also be fine with your stock head-unit. You can get the Alpine SPS-M600 Speakers on ebay for like $65.00 plus shipping but I only deal with www.crutchfield.com when it comes to electronics. They have the best return policy,fastest shipping and best customer service that Ive found. Crutchfield's price is $99.99

Here some pics of my new head-unit and one of the Alpines I'm gonna use.
    I'm waiting for a little warmer wheather to install everything.

I did test everything and sounds awesome!!!
    Last edited by holdnon72; 06-28-2008 at 08:17 PM.

Polk MOMO carbon-fiber speakers; they are tons better than the stock Clarions. For the head unit, I went with Dual, because it had MP3 capability, antishock, 22 RMS power, weather radio, remote, etc.

The stereo sounds great, but still can't really be heard at top speed, and still skips too much for my tastes. If I'm out jumping wakes and doin' 360's to the Matrix soundtrack, I'd really like it to play smoothly. I'm thinking about a small amp to help to speakers play louder.

The stereo area on the S150 doesn't get wet; if I had it to do over again, I'd get the same speakers, but I'd buy a non-marine head unit that accepts flash memory cards and hopefully at least 25 RMS power. Remember, max power means nothing, it's all about the RMS.

Edit: Holdnon has a point, it was a pain to rewire for the Dual stereo, so the new Clarion gets a +1 for ease of install. Also, I did have to drill new holes to accomodate the MOMOs.
    Last edited by VX1; 01-17-2008 at 08:51 PM.

I like the use of the Alpine speakers based on the plug and play for mounting in the same holes. I was looking at receivers and came across the Dual MXDMA80 http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_9809_Dual+MXDMA80.html# It looks like it has a lot of features (Ipod control, Weather Band, Sat ready and Aux) and you can add the MWR30 remote which http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_6827_Dual+MWR30.html I could mount under the gauges. It only has a RMS of 17 watts X 4 channels will that be a issue with the Alpine speakers and do you think the sound quality will be much better that the stock receiver?

VX1, As you can see from my last post Iím a new 150 owner, well next when I pick up me boat I will be. Iím going to add a Bimini Top among other thing to my boat and my question to you is it seems that you have a good one that holds up to high speeds. Is it a factory top and where did you buy it from? Thanks for the help!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information