How do I remove the coupling on the driveshaft!?

Hey everyone,
    I need to replace a gear that is strippe inside of my engine. This gear is causing the starter to slip. I need to pull the side cover off of the engine, but in order to do so, I have to remove the driveshaft coupling that comes off of the engine. How do I remove this? Do I need some type of special puller?

Bayville NJ
    What motor are you talking about ? if your talking about the starter bendix you must pull the fly wheel .

It is a 1987 Kawasaki JS300, with the single cylinder 300. Is the flywheel the part that comes out of the engine and mates it with the driveshaft? How do I get that piece off then?

s fl
    On the 1 cyl js300 the starter gear/1way starter clutch is behind the PTO coupling. Check the 1 way clutch for damage.

You must hold the engine from spinning to get the PTO coupling off, they can be a major pia to remove. The coupling spins off. Some people put rope down the spark plug hole to 'jam' the motor from spinning, i like to use a flywheel holder when possible

The flywheel is on the front of the crank. NO need to remove the flywheel to get the REAR cover off, to get at the starter 1 way clutch/gear.

I wouldn't waste any money on a js300, do a upgrade to a 440/550 or a 650 they are cheap money now
    The js300 is anemic, not much fun for anybody full grown, a 80lb child just learning is ok...maybe.

Last edited by allcool; 01-17-2008 at 07:13 PM.

OK. I will try to find some way to lock the engine to get the pto thing off. That is what I was trying to describe the whole time. Would a bigger motor just drop right in to my ski? Hmmm. I wonder if there are any that are drop in and go that will work with everything else that is already in the ski including the electrics and stuff. Any ideas??

Before I start hammering away the coupling, which way does it turn to come off, clockwise, or counterclockwise?

Thread Information