Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

1997 gsx vrs 97 spx

I have the chance to purchase a used seadoo from a family friend. They actually have 2. They are both 1997 and both in excellent shape from what i can see. Which ever one I don't buy they will keep.... I will get either of them checked out at the marine mechanic but here is my question....

One is a spx and the other a GSX... what is the difference and which is a more desriable machine.

syngy

The ski's have taken a "backseat" to the Corvette DarthAWM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by syngy View Post
    I have the chance to purchase a used seadoo from a family friend. They actually have 2. They are both 1997 and both in excellent shape from what i can see. Which ever one I don't buy they will keep.... I will get either of them checked out at the marine mechanic but here is my question....

One is a spx and the other a GSX... what is the difference and which is a more desriable machine.

syngy
    They are the same engine, the SPX carries the much celebrated X-4 hull, but the GSX is a little longer, wider, and more stable. They are bith two stroke 787 Rotax engines that probably need fuel lines replaced, carbs cleaned and rebuilt, fuel filters changed due to a cheap, non-fuel resistent fuel lines(the grey Tempo lines). Parts and mods are readily available(somes time only used) and reasonably priced.

Don't take my fuel line rant the wrong way, its just a warning of maintinance that may need doing. I've had a '96 XP(idenditcal in almost every respect to the 97 XP) in the family since it was new and have had no major mechanical problems other than the fuel lines(a 1 hr $50 fix) and a couple submersions(user caused).

As to which one is more desirable, from what I have seen on-line the SPX seems to be slightly more in demand.

thank you I will go and have a look tomorrow and try to get it in to the dealer this weekend....

cheers

syngy

It depends on what you want to do. I you want accerlation, agility and a great jumping machine, go with the SPX. If you ride two up or need stability, go with the GSX.

DOT? Tryin to get that post count up?

No kidding! well anyway.. if you want a one up jumper.. the SPX is king.. if you want a stability ski for 2 up.. go for the GSX.

1997 GSX vs SPX

I own both. Had them since new. The SPX turns better, is quicker and faster. It is a 1 person ski. You can ride 2 up, but you better be agile and not to heavy.

The GSX is a little slower and does not turn quite as well, but is way more stable. You can ride 2 up on it and it is fairly stable with 2 up. Just don't lean over when you are not moving.

Bottom line: Everyone hates the GSX. Not because it is slower but because of the ride. In any chop at all, it rides like crap. Pounds the hell out of you like an old flat bottom boat. I think that they just widened the SPX hull which makes it seem like it is flatter. The Spx sinks into the water when it lands and the GSX slaps the top of the water when it lands.

A nice clean SPX is more desirable than a GSX and seems to bring more money. It is also almost 100 pounds lighter and is a lot more fun to ride.

I am old ,(61) slow, and lazy so I usually take out the GTX and let my kids and their friends beat themselves until they can't hardly walk the next day.

If I could only have 2 skis I would keep the GTX and the SPX and not have the GSX........Skip

+1
    Welcome to the GH forums...

NOW THIS IS A GREAT FIRST POST.

Pounds the hell out of you like an old flat bottom boat.
    absolutely agree

+1
    gsx is not much more stable than a spx anyways, and it isnt that great for 2 people.
    if you want to ride 2 poeple alot, get a GTX or GTi.
    assume the gsx is a little bigger and slower than a spx, a bit dryer ride.
    however its still basically a one man ski, like th spx.
    i would get the spx.
    GSX needs the 951, but since its not one of the skis your looking at, get the spx

gsx is not much more stable than a spx anyways, and it isnt that great for 2 people.
    if you want to ride 2 poeple alot, get a GTX or GTi.
    assume the gsx is a little bigger and slower than a spx, a bit dryer ride.
    however its still basically a one man ski, like th spx.
    i would get the spx.
    GSX needs the 951, but since its not one of the skis your looking at, get the spx

Agreed!! But, It is way more stable than a SPX. If you want a good laugh, watch a 200+ pound guy that has never ridden one before try to get back on in deep water....Skip

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information