Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

97 GP Carb Problem?

I installed a primer kit by removing the choke butterflys. I also removed the oil pump and went pre-mix. Now when I run the ski about 3000-4000rpm at part thottle it hesitates at WOT. It did not have this problem before I installed these parts. But aleast it starts now without adding fuel down the carbs. The ski is all stock except for these mods. I even still run the plastic trim tabs. Any help would be great. Thanks in advance.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by poorfish View Post
    I installed a primer kit by removing the choke butterflys. I also removed the oil pump and went pre-mix. Now when I run the ski about 3000-4000rpm at part thottle it hesitates at WOT. It did not have this problem before I installed these parts. But aleast it starts now without adding fuel down the carbs. The ski is all stock except for these mods. I even still run the plastic trim tabs. Any help would be great. Thanks in advance.
    Back out your low speed adjustment screws (turn to the left) 1/4 turn on bottom, and 1/2 turn on the top. Your running a tad lean now that you have more air coming into the motor.

Is there two low speed adj screws?

I thought that there was only one low speed screw per carb. I do not understand, please explain. I'm happy that you responed to my post you seem to be the man to know when moding GP 1200's. Thanks a bunch

What type of sponsons should I buy?

Everyone one this site says that 97 GP1200 sponsons are junk. Which sponsons do you think are the best SLEEPER? I want to put some aftermarket parts on the ski I'm just not to sure where to start. Thanks.

I thought that there was only one low speed screw per carb. I do not understand, please explain. I'm happy that you responed to my post you seem to be the man to know when moding GP 1200's. Thanks a bunch
    There is only one low per carb! he is advising you to turn out your lows and highs

+1
    Yes, turn your lows & highs. There is nothing wrong with the stock sponsons, just get rid of the stock tabs.

I'm with you on the carbs now.

I understand the carb adjustment now thanks a bunch. If I get some aftermarket flame arresters with I need to adjust the carbs again? I'm not too swift on what parts are called because I thought the sponsons and tabs were the same thing. I read some other post about how bad the plastic sponsons are on the GP1200. And not to bore you, but what should my next mod be. If you could be specific to even the company name. I ride mostly in a lake with only small chop, but sometimes I do go into Tampa Bay. If my question is to broad or there is no right answer that's cool. I just wanted to get put in the right direction. Thanks.

+1
    If you get flame arrestors, you will have to richen the carbs slightly. If you ride in chop alot, a Shredmaster or Riva limited edition ride plate would probably be the best. Shredmaster no longer makes these plates, but you may be able to find one used. An aftermarket intake grate from Riva, R&D or Protec will also help with hook up in the chop.

+1
    When you had the carbs off did you clean/rebuild them ??

GP1200s are a little rich to begin with,if you didnt go thru the carbs then turning screws is only gonna mask the real problem.
    Last edited by water worx; 01-25-2008 at 11:38 AM.

Do I need to rebuild my carbs?

NO, I did not rebuild my carbs when I had them off. The ski ran fine until I took off the choke plates. If I do need to rebuild the carbs which kit should I get? Do you have any tips on rebuilding the carbs? Like the screw settings, or watch out for some hiddin spring. Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information