77 vs. 80mph at 8100

I've been checking the speeds many are getting with basically the same set-up; 42's, external intercooler, S3 supercharger, 15/20 prop and all at about 8100 rpm.
    A few are hitting 80mph but a bunch are at 77mph, what do you think are giving some the extra mph. Altitude, prop pitch?
    Sandy

attention to EVERY last detail...prop, venturi ring size, ride plate, skegs usually help, NO boost leaks, clean I/C, good weather and water, correct S/C slip, and many many other details, these details are the most tedious and easily overlooked with ANY setup...

77-78 mph with that setup is about average, anything on top of that can usually be attributed to a 'detailed' owner/operator...

Banned User
    +1
    Lots of work to get a stock ECU to break 80. And not just a quick blip, but a consistantly repeatable 80...its like the HOLY GRAIL for that setup...

I kind of wish everyone had video footage to back up there speeds......not that I don't believe them but it is easy for someone sitting behind a computer to add a little to the truth

+1
    From the speed and mods information from engineermike on the performance page, there is only one person that has actually made it to 80 mph with a stock ECU. Of course Diggs posted on the forum when he was able to go 80 with the stock ECU, I for one have no reason to doubt him. He was one of the guys that was able to help me with the details in obtaining a bit higher speeds. I still believe that it was the attention to the details that continues to help me. Now that I am at Stg. III + I still am able to get better speeds than some with the same setup, at the same time I am at 1074' elevation.

So I would have to agree that it is possible to find an additional 1-3 mph if you are willing to spend the time on the hull, rideplate and intake grate. Hopefully the rideplate/pump extension mods will be available this year for an even greater gain in speed and performance.

And please remember that if you have a Stg. II ski that will run 80 mph, it will never get there as fast as the Stg. III skis from what I have seen.

+1
    And please remember that if you have a Stg. II ski that will run 80 mph, it will never get there as fast as the Stg. III skis from what I have seen.[/quote]

Never say never

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by suck my wake View Post
    And please remember that if you have a Stg. II ski that will run 80 mph, it will never get there as fast as the Stg. III skis from what I have seen.

Never say never

+1

+1
    Please do not forget the last part " from what I have seen". Of course this could change with the 255 HP X skis. Hopefully we will see some really nice improvements with them this year.

Thread Information