Prop Nose Cone Question???

Guys is there any benefit or speed gain from removing the prop nose cone? What are the pros and cons of this modification on our skis?

Yes there are slight gains to be had. If you ride in salt water the general consensus is to leave it on. The only drawback IMO is it makes "stabbing" the pump back onto the shaft a two man job. (driveshaft needs to be held centered from underneath through the intake grate opening)

Dont judge me...
    you also don't have to worry about the cone walking up your drive shaft. and robbing speed.

How about removing the nose cone at the rear of the pump to gain more speed. Have anybody try this?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by GPRXP Steve View Post
    Yes there are slight gains to be had. If you ride in salt water the general consensus is to leave it on. The only drawback IMO is it makes "stabbing" the pump back onto the shaft a two man job. (driveshaft needs to be held centered from underneath through the intake grate opening)
    u can easily do it by yourself if u lay on your back and hold up on the shaft slightly through the intake grate after already having the pump started on the shaft........ u can still reach the pump itself and push it onto the shaft fully at the same time as holding up on the driveshaft to guide it all the way in! thanks

Quote Originally Posted by REID2168 View Post
    u can easily do it by yourself if u lay on your back and hold up on the shaft slightly through the intake grate after already having the pump started on the shaft........ u can still reach the pump itself and push it onto the shaft fully at the same time as holding up on the driveshaft to guide it all the way in! thanks
    I took a sanding sponge tied a rope to it that I poked through the intake grate. The driveshaft sat on the sponge centeredin the pump tunnel, and after installing the pump, I pulled it through the grate with the rope. Worked great. Just dont forget to pull it out when you are done putting everything together.
    (I did once, thought I sucked in a stick at the ramp)

Quote Originally Posted by RXP300 View Post
    Guys is there any benefit or speed gain from removing the prop nose cone? What are the pros and cons of this modification on our skis?
    just like Steve says, if your primarily in salt water than you`d wanna leave it on. I don`t think you`ll gain all that much from what I`ve read, but if your counting 10ths of a mile, then yeah...

How about removing the nose cone at the rear of the pump to gain more speed. Have anybody try this?
    you def don`t want to do this. The (rear) tail cone houses the grease that lubricates the pump bearings...PR...

Banned User
    +1

UM, the pump cone nozzle is needed to help accelerate the water along with the venturi, to provide thrust.......you can use an adjustable nozzle to dial in your setup....

+1
    You either kidding or STUPID

Come on PR, Delete,DELETE,DELETE

Gotta love this sport! 05Limited's Avatar
    +1

Thread Information