Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help! No Registration for my 88 Kawi 650SX!

Hey Everyone,
    Just bought a 1988 Kawasaki 650SX Stand Up. The previous owner received it from his friend, who was the original owner, and the paperwork was apparently lost as it has been sitting for 10 years. I live in NJ and to register it here you need to provide the DMV with the previous owner's registration and a notarized bill of sale. Does anybody know how I can obtain a registration/title for this ski? Also, can the Hull ID Number be popped off and replaced with a new one from a ski that has a clear registration? Does anybody have a clear registration and HIN for me!? Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks,
    Jerry

FYI, it is VERY illegal to do anything to the HID. So you might not get any answers here.

Thanks for the heads up. Can you think of any other ways to get a ski registered?

Can you talk to the original owner? If so one of you can file for a lost title to get a replacement. It may have to be sent to his address. Or you can give him a bonus $$$ to get you a title.
    I'm sure there's a sly way to get one but noone would put it in print.

+1
    my suggestion would be try to track down the original owner. second contact where you register your boat this varies from state to state and see what options they give you.

Info...

http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/Vehicle/Boats.htm

Not sure if you state will allow you to do something like this....

http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/forms/BOAT/BOAT-001.pdf

cheatin' piston popper addicted's Avatar
    +1
    I had a similar issue. No reg, but I did get a bill of sale. unfortuneately, not a notarized bill of sale. Make friends with a notary and get yourself a notarized bill of sale. Then go to dmv and be very friendly. If it hasn't been registered in 10+years, they may understand that the reg card was lost and that all you have is the BOS. worked for me

+1
    In kansas all you need is a bill of sale

UPDATE - I went to the DMV and tried registering it with my notarized bill of sale. I bought it off a guy named Steve and his name was on the sheet as the seller and mine was the buyer. The DMV would not register it because they said the previous owner's name in their records was Robert, not Steve. This was because Steve never registered the ski after purchasing it and let it sit for 3 years till I just bought it. The DMV said that they do not allow people to "skip" ownership, as Steve never paid sales tax on his purchase on the ski years ago. I guess it all comes down to money the state wants to take from us. Now the DMV says that Robert's name must be on the notarized bill of sale. I guess I am on a manhunt to find Robert now. I will keep everyone updated.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by RideBlue View Post
    UPDATE - I went to the DMV and tried registering it with my notarized bill of sale. I bought it off a guy named Steve and his name was on the sheet as the seller and mine was the buyer. The DMV would not register it because they said the previous owner's name in their records was Robert, not Steve. This was because Steve never registered the ski after purchasing it and let it sit for 3 years till I just bought it. The DMV said that they do not allow people to "skip" ownership, as Steve never paid sales tax on his purchase on the ski years ago. I guess it all comes down to money the state wants to take from us. Now the DMV says that Robert's name must be on the notarized bill of sale. I guess I am on a manhunt to find Robert now. I will keep everyone updated.
    if you just got a bill of sale from Robert and a tittle and when to a different dmv for registration who would know there was ever a guy in the middle?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information