Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Engine Cleaning

Engine Cleaning

Anybody have a how to on engine cleaning.
    I removed the center plastic thing (RXT) and then took off the plastic cover.

I have some greased lightning citrus and salt away. I'm afraid to spray down the top of the engine because I don't know what can get water and what can't.

Should I put a towel over the spark plugs and leave the oil dipstick in and just spray it down.

Then rinse and after it dries spray it down with wd40 ?

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    hose it down!! no high pressure or anything... a rinsing. water can get everywhere just keep it away from your air intake obviously... everything else is fine and sealed up and won't get harmed by a good rinsing.

i drench my motor and wash it down after every single ride with fresh water.

Is it bad to spray JB Weld on your engine to get the grease looesned up?

Cleaning Engine

I always spray liberally with silicon spray (cheaper alternative to Bomb lube) JUST before each ride. It stays more "runny" and the salt spray seems to wash it off, rather than leave deposits everywhere. If you leave the lube on for some time, it seems to "dry" on the Engine and doesn't work so well. This then makes the job of cleaning the engine after a ride much easier. To clean, I again use Silicon spray then wash off with a sprinkle of water, with the seat bridge and plastic engine covers removed. Dry off with paper towels then use (expensive) Bomb lube to stay on Engine until next time.
    Using this technique we had 130 hours on an N/A 4-TEC and 75 on an RXT with Engines that look like new
    It was also suggested to a friend of mine that you can put a small quantity of MILD washing up detergent in the bilge before each ride in the salt. Sounds like a good idea - I'll try it and let you know!

Re: Cleaning Engine

Quote Originally Posted by bic1
    I always spray liberally with silicon spray (cheaper alternative to Bomb lube) JUST before each ride. It stays more "runny" and the salt spray seems to wash it off, rather than leave deposits everywhere. If you leave the lube on for some time, it seems to "dry" on the Engine and doesn't work so well. This then makes the job of cleaning the engine after a ride much easier. To clean, I again use Silicon spray then wash off with a sprinkle of water, with the seat bridge and plastic engine covers removed. Dry off with paper towels then use (expensive) Bomb lube to stay on Engine until next time.
    Using this technique we had 130 hours on an N/A 4-TEC and 75 on an RXT with Engines that look like new
    It was also suggested to a friend of mine that you can put a small quantity of MILD washing up detergent in the bilge before each ride in the salt. Sounds like a good idea - I'll try it and let you know!
    Well? Did you try the detergent?

Steve,
    Do you spray your engine after each rinse and dry of your engine with Bombi Lube or just Silicone spray?

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    i rinse everything everytime i ride.... and i mist everything with either silicone spray, WD40, or bomb lube everytime ( i alternate between the 3 each time)...

the misting of a lube is more imporant than rinsing with water as that is what is going to PROTECT... adding water without a protectant or water displacer is only going to get rid of the salt but add moisture and condensation everywhere.

and it's always best if possible to store the ski with the seats removed.

If you have not been riding in salt water don't use the Salt Away, it's some powerful stuff designed to neutralize salt and has no benefits over using the Greased Lightning if the ski isn't salty.

So okay to use Greased lightning?

I sprinkle some water on wear I see some salt and always spray it down with lube. Currently using WD-40. Hear bad things about WD-40 but that stuff is available everywhere. The lubezall, prestone silicone and the crc stuff is somewhat of a treasure hunt.

I don't see how WD-40 can harm plastic but rubber I am testing. I put a peice of rubber into a vile and soaked it with WD-40. Its been in there for a week so far and nothing bad yet. After awhile I am going to start simulating engine heat.

Just found this, looks like wd40 is safe on rubber
    http://www.wd40.com/Brands/wd40_faqs.html

What surfaces or materials are OK to use WD-40 on?
    WD-40 can be used on just about everything. It is safe for metal, rubber, wood and plastic. WD-40 can be applied to painted metal surfaces without harming the paint. Polycarbonate and clear polystyrene plastic are among the few surfaces on which to avoid using a petroleum-based product like WD-40.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information