View Poll Results: Which one should I get?

8. You may not vote on this poll
  • '96 SeaDoo Challenger

3 37.50%
  • '96 SeaDoo Speedster

2 25.00%
  • '96 Sea Rayder for about $1000 less

0 0%
  • '96 Sea Rayder Z16 w/ 175Hp Mercury for about $1000 more

0 0%
  • None of the above. Get something w/ an outboard motor

3 37.50%

Which one should I buy??? 96 Challenger or Speedster

Hi. I am a newb to jet boats. I was thinking about getting a 120HP Sea Rayder but then read a lot of bad stuff about the Force motors. So I increased my budget a bit and now am looking at 2 Sea Doo units. One is a 96 Challenger and the other a 96 Speedster. I plan to use it out on the ocean in Southern California with my 2 teenage kids. Maybe 20% of the time will also have the wife along but when she is in it we probably will just be slow cruising around the harbor and close to shore. Don't plan to have total of more than 4 people in the boat. Is one better than the other? is one more reliable and lower cost to maintain than the other? I can't see much difference between them other than I think the Speedster has twin 85HP Rotax motors and the Challenger has a single 170HP Rotax motor??? I would guess with 2 motors you have twice as many things to break or fix? Or does that give you extra safety as if one goes out you can still make your way back with the other? What speed and range do you get with these boats? Not really looking for crazy speed. I have a 13' inflatable now with a 25HP outboard that does 27MPH and that already seems pretty quick. I would guess 40mph would be plenty to keep us entertained. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!
    Last edited by PilotSmith; 01-21-2008 at 03:15 AM.

I found a 96 Challenger for a tad under $3K that I picked up. Maybe I will get it out on the ocean this weekend if weather is okay. It has never been in salt water. I plan to spray the motor and all metal part down with T-9 before taking it out. Impeller clearance was .018 which I guess is still pretty good. You just touch that start button and it instantly is running. Beats yanking on the pull cord on my inflatable! Here she is:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1220004.JPG 
Views:	1162 
Size:	1.34 MB 
ID:	54138  

The poll suggests outboard so far is the best choice. I could not find a low priced outboard that the wife liked. I already got an offer on the SeaDoo boat I purchased so I should not have a problem selling it in the Summer if it really is something we don't like. With our low budget for a boat, it is hard to find something that looks nice and is in fairly good condition. I'm just hoping the single 787 with 2-3 people in it will be fun enough for us and still keep the wife happy when only slowly cruising through the harbor.

Waterford, Michigan
    I think you will get more responses if you post in the Seadoo sports boat section.

Boat looks nice though, good luck with it!

Thread Information