Is a 96 Challenger or Speedster a PWC?

Would a Speedster or Challenger be considered a boat or a PWC in California? I read that a PWC is 12' or shorter. Just wanted to make sure that PWC restrictions did not apply to the jet boats over 12' in length.
    Last edited by PilotSmith; 01-21-2008 at 05:13 AM.

no. a personal watercraft is meant for 1-3 people, while a jet boat can carry 4 or more.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxMike View Post
    no. a personal watercraft is meant for 1-3 people, while a jet boat can carry 4 or more.
    there are seadoos that carry 4

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Quote Originally Posted by PilotSmith View Post
    Would a Speedster or Challenger be considered a boat or a PWC in California? I read that a PWC is 12' or shorter. Just wanted to make sure that PWC restrictions did not apply to the jet boats over 12' in length.
    A Speedster is 13' long if I remember right. And a Challenger 15'. They would be boats IMO, but I'm not familiar with CA laws. Only the LRV is a 4 person PWC, it is 13' long too.

oh yea. i forgot about the LRV . But still, a PWC is usually meant for 1-3 or 4 people, while a boat is made to carry more. Just my opinion....
    -MaxMike-

1996 Sea Doo Challenger (787x1)
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxMike View Post
    oh yea. i forgot about the LRV . But still, a PWC is usually meant for 1-3 or 4 people, while a boat is made to carry more. Just my opinion....
    -MaxMike-
    Actually, the insurance industry generally uses the concept of "sitting in" for boats, and "sitting on or astride" for PWC...I say generally, because I had an interesting exchange with GEICO recently, concerning a quote for my `96 Challenger jet boat.

GEICO passed my quote inquiry off to their subsidiary, "Skisafe", who emailed me a quote for "PWC insurance on your 1996 Seadoo XP". I emailed back that an XP was a jet ski, and my Challenger is a boat. Their studied response was,

> Thanks for your interest in our watercraft
    > insurance. Unfortunately,
    > you were quoted incorrectly, this is considered a
    > personal watercraft so
    > I have sent you a new quote.
    >
    > If you have any questions, please contact us.

One reason I objected to being classed as PWC was the PWC policy's prohibition of ANY night time operation (ski's don't have nav lites, boats do. When I advised the rep of that issue, she responded...

I'd like to compliment you, most people don't take the time to read the information that is provided. However, that is general information, and if you download the PWC policy, you will see how it pertains to your craft.

In addition, if you would like to navigate at night, since your craft has lights, it is possible to endorse the policy and give you the coverage to do that since yours' is a jet boat.

I know that the rate difference may be an issue as well, but the risk factor (mainly theft) is much greater on the boat of your size compared to an 18' so the rate reflects that.

That was how Geico handled boats..in Georgia, as of November 2007. Your experience may vary.
    Last edited by Steve762us; 01-29-2008 at 12:23 AM. Reason: Formatting

Thread Information