Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15
  1. #1
    Ridin' the Rancocas 04RXP22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Mt. Laurel, NJ
    Posts
    2,722

    Front & Rear Air Intake???

    Hey all.... I am off to work, so I will leave this out there and see what kind of replies I get at the end of the day.

    I was looking at the build your own cold air intake section at Pep Boys yesterday and got to thinking.

    They had a "Y" pipe there to run two air intake lines? Is there a benefit to this. I mean we could easily run this "Y" off of the SC and run one line around to the front of the engine like the riva set up and one line straight up like the Riva rear set up. In my opinion, this would use up all the cold air possible in the hull.

    What would the benefit of this be? Is it worth tryaing? Does it make sense?
    Possible gains?


  2. #2

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Lake Dunlap, Texas
    Posts
    1,600
    +1
    28
    There is no cold air in the hull. Go with the Riva rear air--best induction out there right now for the RXP & RXT. Yes--I know Riva does not make one for the RXT--but several guys have made one work on their RXTs.

  3. #3
    kp04rxp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pipersville, PA
    Posts
    826
    If your riding rough water I personally wouldn't run the rear air but since I believe your riding smoother water then definitely run the rear air. I built a front air intake where the filter sits right above the fuel tank.

    I see no advantage to the "y" pipe your describing unless its some sort of gated valve which allows you to switch from rear to front intake. Then your also looking at more clutter & weight..

  4. #4
    Banned User
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Crest Hill, IL
    Posts
    9,512
    +1
    215
    I would go rear air, but I ride a combo of water that sometimes has a cruiser go by, which I like to pop their wakes...and sometimes I'll sink the back of my ski when I land...so thats OUT for me.

    My solution, was to locate my 4" setup as high, but as close to the front opening as possible. I also cut 2 holes for flowrites...
    http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=39293

    Works well, sound GREAT (SC whine is NICE )

  5. #5
    AKA: Larry lafjax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Jacksonville, Fl
    Posts
    3,032
    Quote Originally Posted by 04RXP22 View Post
    Hey all.... I am off to work, so I will leave this out there and see what kind of replies I get at the end of the day.

    I was looking at the build your own cold air intake section at Pep Boys yesterday and got to thinking.

    They had a "Y" pipe there to run two air intake lines? Is there a benefit to this. I mean we could easily run this "Y" off of the SC and run one line around to the front of the engine like the riva set up and one line straight up like the Riva rear set up. In my opinion, this would use up all the cold air possible in the hull.

    What would the benefit of this be? Is it worth tryaing? Does it make sense?
    Possible gains?
    Might be worth a try...Turbo Todd has tried to get me to try this for sometime now...I just haven't gotten round to it!! More air = better performance as shown by running with the glove box off and/or the front cover up.

  6. #6
    kp04rxp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pipersville, PA
    Posts
    826
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    I would go rear air, but I ride a combo of water that sometimes has a cruiser go by, which I like to pop their wakes...and sometimes I'll sink the back of my ski when I land...so thats OUT for me.

    My solution, was to locate my 4" setup as high, but as close to the front opening as possible. I also cut 2 holes for flowrites...
    http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=39293

    Works well, sound GREAT (SC whine is NICE )

    Danny, I'm looking for a way to mount my filter in the exact same area you mounted yours. Can you give me any details or further instruction on the bracket you made for your 4" setup?

  7. #7
    Banned User
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Crest Hill, IL
    Posts
    9,512
    +1
    215
    Quote Originally Posted by kp04rxp View Post
    Danny, I'm looking for a way to mount my filter in the exact same area you mounted yours. Can you give me any details or further instruction on the bracket you made for your 4" setup?
    The bracket I made out of a scrap strip of aluminum. I simply heated it up with a torch and bent it in a vice, while "persuading" it with a hammer

    I drilled 2 holes and used my arbor press to push in some stainless threaded inserts...Then used some stainless allen head bolts to attach, and drilled the right holes in the front lip of the fiberglass (not seen in photos)...the allen bolts are low profile head, so the rubber gasket on the cowl took car of it...

    What is not seen is the notch I cut after I took the pic, for the clamp to sit in so it doesn't go up/down....

  8. #8
    is thinking. grantuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Surrey, UK
    Posts
    745
    +1
    19
    .

  9. #9
    is thinking. grantuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Surrey, UK
    Posts
    745
    +1
    19
    any pictures of the filter mounted?

  10. #10

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Front vs. Rear Air Intake?
    By Ferrari Steve in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 08-05-2013, 09:39 AM
  2. Rear air intake and hot air venting
    By RXP'in in MI in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 09-15-2006, 08:19 AM
  3. My Carbon rear air intake
    By nickdog in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 08-21-2006, 02:34 PM
  4. Green Hulk's rear air intake
    By Green Hulk in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 08-03-2006, 06:22 PM
  5. Rear air intake for more power
    By Kinchyle in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-02-2005, 12:41 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •