Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

wheres my air filter Charlie Brown?

I happened to notice that when I took the plastic cover off my ait intake, I did not find an air filter anywhere. looking at part diagrams online, I'm seeing air filters there....Am I missing something here?

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    All there is stock is the plastic housing and a alumiun plate with holes all thru it. It's a Flame Arrestor,not a Air Filter.

Quote Originally Posted by Keddano View Post
    All there is stock is the plastic housing and a alumiun plate with holes all thru it. It's a Flame Arrestor,not a Air Filter.

gotcha....So I should get this upgraded eh?

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    It depends on what you mean upgraded. So you have a filter or more performance? Aftermarket will improve performance some,but you will be needing to rejet the carbs also to companstate for more air or you'll be running lean and smoke a cylinder. The first upgrade to any old school Polaris is the fuel system. What ski do you have.Do you have a triple outlet fuel pump if it's a triple cyl?

Quote Originally Posted by Keddano View Post
    It depends on what you mean upgraded. So you have a filter or more performance? Aftermarket will improve performance some,but you will be needing to rejet the carbs also to companstate for more air or you'll be running lean and smoke a cylinder. The first upgrade to any old school Polaris is the fuel system. What ski do you have.Do you have a triple outlet fuel pump if it's a triple cyl?
    This is a Polaris 98 SLXH 1050cc...trip cyl , im going to say it has a trip outlet fuel pump but not 100% sure, I can go look if u need....

Performance wouldn't be a bad idea....Please bear with me since I'm fairly new to all this stuff. Green Hulk is slowly becomming my new crack addiction and I just can't seem to get enough. I'm afraid I'll be ripping apart my whole engine before I know it (Thank you green hulk members)...hehehe...

So If I were to get flame arrestors is rejetting the carbs difficult (do I have to rip alot of stuff out?) - is there a way I can test if im too lean/rich without dropping it in the water and maybe just running it connected to my flush kit for a minute or 2 (like checking spark plugs or is there a better way?)?
    Last edited by CrYsTaLiZeD; 01-21-2008 at 11:48 AM.

+1
    1. Yes, there should be a metal mesh filter(2 inch wide x 10 inch long) inside the flame arrestor,my friend might have 1 if you don't get aftermarket F/A.
    2. You need to have the craft in the water to check fuel mixture.Most accurate way is to check "piston wash". Search forums,to find pictures.
    I look at the spark plugs,easiest/fastest,not as accurate.
    Carb adjust on 98 40mm carbs.Only has a low speed adjustment screws.Mid range/high speed adjustment is done by replacing "jets".Need to remove carbs/after that it's easy.

http://www.polariswatercraft.com.au/Carb%20Tuning.htm

Some decent information to help understand some of the basics.

100 MILES OF HEAVEN AND I AM SMACK IN THE MIDDLE KEYZBUM's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by CrYsTaLiZeD View Post
    gotcha....So I should get this upgraded eh?
    if you do go for the afermarket filter/arrestors
    I have a set of adapters for that motor,,
    just place a "WTB" cone filter in the polaris classifieds
    there are a few guys with a set or 2
    just let me know
    mattman

Rasta Mon Condoms We Be Jammin!!!!! TxVirageTx's Avatar
    +1

f/a

the cone filters won't clear on the slxh or slx with 1050,1200 motor or the sltx's i believe,the 2" rounds will.with the 40mm carbs you have to get kawi adapters and swap out three of the long bolts for even longer bolts,otherwise you end up with the 42mm-38mm larger adapters that have an offset at the top and don't do anything more than stock except make it easier to remove and install the carbs.crystal do yourself a favor check out this site lako.com i believe read up on the stealth stacks,these will improve the bottom end idle and takeoff.main thing i've noticed on keihin carbs on the older polaris is the cen and pto cylinder carb sync starts getting off,the plastic button on the linkage wears for each carb and changes throttle position over time.ask absentx about his experience with these issues.basically for you mods its all out or mild,speed cost money,how much would you like to purchase and who will tune it????

whoa whoa whoa , you have no ( element filter ) stop what your doing decide if you wanna buy my stock filter or buy 3 40 $filters and 3 15$ adaptors .

contact john zigler hes has a connect and sells em for 40 insted of 45-60 $ else where

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information