Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Lifting PWC off trailer

I have been thinking of the easiest way to lift my SL 650 off of my trailer if needed for periods of time. I have a large beam in the center of my garage that perhaps this lift could be bolted to and some think nylon straps could go under the boat. I figured this group has some experiance with lifting thier boats off their trailers to put on carts or to work on the hulls. Is this something you think would work? If so what type of straps would be needed? How long could it be suspended?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Brand...em130191815559

+1
    SL650 weighs about 500 LBS. You could slide it onto a cart with 2 people.I've done it 200 times(thanks to Bob).Doing hull work,Empty gas/oil.4 people flip it over .Support properly.

Thats not a lift; thats a load leveler that hangs from a hoist to tilt engines to install them easier. Get three strong friends and lift it off to your stand if you have one. When I take my ski off the trailer I just put down a car tire under the ride plate, lift up the trailer tongue and work it down the trailer; then another tire under the front of the hull. Takes at least 2 people though.

+1
    don't know if this helps, but I bought a chain hoist from Harbor freight tools and lifting straps. Mounted the hoist to Steel I beam in garage to lift on and off trailer. It works great!
    http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=2239

Thanks for the input, but I moved recently and really don't know anybody. I thought I need to find a way to get er done myself. So thats just a leveler, if I find a hoist or puller and bolt it to the beam that would work right? Do you think suspending it for more than short periods of time is an accident waiting to happen?

Shane

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by ShaneG View Post
    ...if I find a hoist or puller and bolt it to the beam that would work right?
    Do you think suspending it for more than short periods of time is an accident waiting to happen?
    Shane
    What would be underneath the hoisted boat?
    A car, people walking around?

Safety is the big issue. The overhead attachment must of course be plenty strong, and the beam must also be able to handle the load, and not deform or shift over time. The hoist itself must be both plenty strong and not able to accidentally release the load (not even with someone fooling around with it).

You need to think about where on the boat you are going to be holding the weight.

If you suspend it from the hull rim (the seam between upper and lower hull sections), then it could potentially deform over time, as the seam is not meant to be load bearing for the full boat weight. Well, I don't think it is, but I might be wrong. There are commercial lifting slings, but they are intended for short term lifting, not storage.

If you use wide load straps wrapped under the hull, that might be OK, if you keep one near the rear transom, and another forward. Need to use places where the hull has some internal strength to resist side to side compression forces from the straps.

You could build a frame with a pair of bunks, much like a trailer has, and lift the frame up with the boat on it. Or add lift points to a PWC dolly, and lift the whole rig up. Anything like this needs to be wide enough between the hoist lift points to not drop the boat, even if the rig tilts during the lift.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sling.jpg 
Views:	2245 
Size:	8.5 KB 
ID:	53696  

Last edited by Bone1050; 01-21-2008 at 10:13 PM.

a come along a support beams dont mix , i tried that with a s10 bed prolly weighs 230 lbs with the tail gate off ,

it was makeing them 2 2x8s make scary sounds ,

get cha a cherrypicker and that sling posted ^

but that would be a 300-400 $ dollar invest ment to get your 1500$ ski off the trailer

meet a friend enjoy a six pack after it ,

with the trailer bringing the ski up to little below waist height that means you dont have to travel very far ,

and trust me my sltx fell off the trailer at the ramp and was half way off with the heavy side ride plate holding the othere side up ,
    ( rubber holders and pins with out safety pins dont work to well , and with the help off a fellow boater i picked it up off the ground while he helped scoot it back on the trailor , worst day of my life i was not joe cool at the boat ramp that day
    Last edited by Bone1050; 01-21-2008 at 10:12 PM.

+1
    Buy an engine crane and make some davits and sling it from the sides of the ski make the straps about 1m long .Buy 4, 1m slings (strap type )join them together and use a D shacle through the davit and use a bigger one to sling all 4 from .Slide the engine crane under your ski whilst it is on the trailer and lift it off

Cheers

Bernie

+1
    PWC sling, hold 1000 pounds-Overtons 119.

We would lift the ski's off the trailer and then slide a cart under it all the time...never stored with it though.

Last edited by ph2ocraft; 01-22-2008 at 05:03 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information