Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Any CB people out here?

I`d like to get a CB radio and a decent antenae for the van.
    I found a Cobra 40 channel for like 34.XX at wally world. it`s pretty basic with PA. I`m not sure what type of antanae to go with, it could be hard mounted to the roof or whip type mounted on the side by the back of the van. anyone have any ideas? Thanks...PR...

+1
    Andy,

For what you are looking to do I would go with a Cobra 29 LTD classic for a radio.they run about 99 dollars.Its a good durable radio.The 34 dollar radios really are a waist of money.

http://www.www.premiere-electronics....obra29ltd.html

Antennas I would go with a Wilson 1000 Magnet mount.They have awesome receive and transmit abilitys. I ran one one my truck for years The antenna comes with everything you need.Antenna,coax,base.
    Just put in on your roof, run the coax into the car and your good to go..
    If you have any questions PM me if ya want.I have delt and used CBs for the last 16 years.

Later
    Scott
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image3.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	51.8 KB 
ID:	53727  
    Last edited by Snoman; 01-21-2008 at 07:59 PM.

Snoman, you da Man!

I would like to set-up The "A" team van right.
    a decent CB, and antanae.

is there a good antanae that I could hard mount so cable can come in under antanae base? I don`t mind drilling a hole in the roof. I have a lot of things planned for the van in the future...

what is the benefit of dual antanae?...

captains chairs, somekind of 2nd seating or sofa, neat storage for my work clothes and ski stuff of course, so `ill be plenty busy as time allows...
    Nice link, is this where you buy CB`s from? Thanks Bro!...PR...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Pale Rider View Post
    Snoman, you da Man!

I would like to set-up The "A" team van right.
    a decent CB, and antanae.

Yes and for that reason I would stick with the Cobra 29

is there a good antanae that I could hard mount so cable can come in under antanae base? I don`t mind drilling a hole in the roof. I have a lot of things planned for the van in the future...

Yes....The Cobra 1000 also has a mount wear you can mount it exactly like you want..Pic Below

what is the benefit of dual antanae?...

On your van,,,None

captains chairs, somekind of 2nd seating or sofa, neat storage for my work clothes and ski stuff of course, so `ill be plenty busy as time allows...
    Nice link, is this where you buy CB`s from? Thanks Bro!...PR...
    No this isnt were I get them from.I get mine from a CB guy in Grand Rapids MI..I can hook ya up if you want..He can get you everything you need.

+1
    OOPPS forgot the pic..The antenna mounts to the roof or trunk and you run the coax through the hole into the van.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image1.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	23.1 KB 
ID:	53729  

Snoman, you have PM ...PR...

+1
    Hey Andy, Bring this up over breakfast on Sunday. When I was into 4-wheeling my old Jeep a CB was a necessity and was required by most clubs. I've been down that road many times and have had several, good and bad. Stay away from Rat Shack and Wal-Mart.....You won't pay much more for a nice unit

What I have found for a serious CB setup....
    -magnetic is worthless, or should I say magnetic is as good as a handheld..
    -dual antennas are for show
    -forget those "mount through your radio" type setups
    -you don't need an anything taller than 4' and most times 3' will get you there.
    -I've never liked the long whippy antennas and most offroad clubs won't allow them (I know, you don't care about that...lol) They are fine, just not my cup-o-tea.

The KEY to a good setup is a GOOD Antenna that is TUNEABLE and a GOOD ground (which is why magnetic is sketchy).....

I still have the swr meter to tune the antenna and will bring it. I won't ever use it again as I'm not into that scene anymore....

+1
    Oh, I've bought a lot of stuff from A1 in the past. They seem to have good prices and such. http://www.a1telecom.com/shop/index.php

As for brands I have always had good luck with Cobra radios but I like Midlands too.
    Antennas my first choice would be Firestick but Wilson makes a good one too.

A1 has all kinds of mounting options too. Personally, I'd go with a 4' Firestick with a mount around the rear tailight area....maybe right on a tailight gaurd for simplicity??

+1
    Ok, one last post and I'll shut up. It's just been awhile since I've even thought about this stuff.

Andy, go here: http://www.stu-offroad.com/siteindex.asp

Scroll down about 3/4 of the way and look for Stu's CB radio stuff. Stu is one of the Jeeper gods who has forgotten more than most will ever know (we have some of those ski guys here too and you know who they are)....

Stu helped me get my CB setup and fine tuned in my Jeep. Email him if you have any questions. He's a cool dude and if I remember right does something with electronics or radios or Ham for a living...I forget..

Good Luck Bro'!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
    Hey Andy, Bring this up over breakfast on Sunday. When I was into 4-wheeling my old Jeep a CB was a necessity and was required by most clubs. I've been down that road many times and have had several, good and bad. Stay away from Rat Shack and Wal-Mart.....You won't pay much more for a nice unit

What I have found for a serious CB setup....
    -magnetic is worthless, or should I say magnetic is as good as a handheld..

Wilsons Magnet mount is one of the better magnet mounts out there.I ran one many many years ago when i first started driving truck with one of those cheap wal-mart cobra radios..Trust me when i tell ya they work..Stay away from the cheap magnet mount antennas,

-dual antennas are for show

They work great on semis..Cars,vans NO..You need 102 inchs between the antennas.Then they are a pain in the ass to get dialed in.

-forget those "mount through your radio" type setups

Yes Definatly agree

-you don't need an anything taller than 4' and most times 3' will get you there.

I beg to differ on this one Drew.Find a good 3-4 foot steel whip antenna
    setup...Fiberglass antennas wont last

The KEY to a good setup is a GOOD Antenna that is TUNEABLE and a GOOD ground (which is why magnetic is sketchy).....

I agee 110 % with ya here...

I still have the swr meter to tune the antenna and will bring it. I won't ever use it again as I'm not into that scene anymore....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information