Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Intake grate - ride plate

.....flushing

If the back of the grate hangs lower than the plate....the...step created wouldn't seem to me to be that big a deal....maybe even a plus. The question is...by grinding the upper side of the grate...what actually touches the ski....wouldn't that be better in flushing the surfaces? the blade of the grate wouldn't hang as low....less drag....less force against the grate because it wouldn't be hanging as low as well?

Anyone?

+1
    The RXT grate is already very thin so you really don't want to machine the top surface of it. Plus, that changes the angle on the scoop. All thats really needed is to flush the edges where the grate meets the plate.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	true the grate.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	54.2 KB 
ID:	54082   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trued grate.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	52.3 KB 
ID:	54083  

Is there a big difference in speed gain when the edge of the grate and ride plate are flush like in the picture?

Green Hulk,

The RXT grate is already very thin so you really don't want to machine the top surface of it. Plus, that changes the angle on the scoop. All thats really needed is to flush the edges where the grate meets the plate.
    In another thread the front of the grate has been machined (I'm assuming)to allow the grate to sit better...the back of the grate...is then sanded/machined flush with the ride plate. The thickness being sanded off the bottom, if removed from the top would change the angle of attack so much?...Wouldn't it at the same time take the blades higher outa the water flow?

+1
    It would take it higher out of the water flow but it will still change the angle of the scoop which will change the angle at which water is fed to the top of the pump. The main reason not to take material off the top is the grate is its very thin on the back. Take your grate off and you will see what im talking about.

You can also see in that other thread that material is removed from the bottom side of the rear of the grate.

My RXT intake grate is very low from the plate. hangs down about 1/8 inch. It seems the RXPs are a lot closer to being flush from the factory. I just took mine off yesterday to try to finish getting it flush to the plate. At least the best i can. The plate is very thin at the rear.

Say, don't get the feeling I don't believe you guys...it's just...22* outside and my un-heated garage is only a few degrees warmer...not the best conditions for laying on cold concrete while pulling my grate.

I'll be doing it soon enough when the weather warms a bit to test for myself against a stocker so....in the mean time...

...in this pic

What part of the grate "bottoms" out against the plate...it seems to be waffle shaped....sort of...to sort of lock in into a place....so...where is it too thin?

The rear section of mine gets thin and at the edges. The areas where the bolts mount to the plate are pretty thick.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Hulk View Post
    My RXP was much flusher from grate to ride plate and was fairly easy to true my grate.
    but I my grate of my gtx was much lower than the ride plate. I took some of my grate off and flushed the edges to the ride plate preety much like GH pictures shows. I think it seemed to help top end a bit.

I went out to the garage late last night....checked out the stock grate I had on the shelf. The thin area is the "seat" of the screw/bolt holes...it's no thicker than the edges at the back...definately wouldn't want to take material away from that area of the grate. Why would the seats be so thin? There is an excess of material above the head of the screws when installed....seems to be f-up in design if you ask me. Is the riva grate the same way?

Which brings me to another question...if I can't take any material out the grate where it meets the plate/hull....could I take material outa that area instead so that the grate sits higher in the hull?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information