Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: PV vs. Non-PV

PV vs. Non-PV

I understand the non-PV motor will have less top end, but how much less? Is it a huge difference?

I'm looking for the opinions of people who have ridden both. Thanx.

Eric

+1
    I think you have it backwards. The NON PV is a little softer on the bottom and in the middle.

The EFI guys have come up with some things to overcome this though (not sure what).

Hello Eric, the non pv is a little softer in the midrange than the pv motor, but i have the cure for that... My throttle bodies make them virtually identical in mine and several other Sonic Boom owners opinions..

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by rossnemo View Post
    Hello Eric, the non pv is a little softer in the midrange than the pv motor, but i have the cure for that... My throttle bodies make them virtually identical in mine and several other Sonic Boom owners opinions..
    I don't know Ross. WFO did two boats, 1 pv and the other non-pv and the set ups are almost identical. From a rolling start, the pv boat would jump the other by 1-2 boat lengths. On top end, the non pv boat had the upper hand since it was running a fully modified ride plate where as the pv boat was only running a stock Riva plate that had some shims. I know there are probably other factors like fuel controller set up and what not, WFO will have to answer that issue, but the hit with the pvs are there!

PS. both boats had your sonic booms and I assume you did the same work to each throttle body set. Again, WFO can verify that. Oh, and the sonic booms on my pv motor are the sh!t!!!
    Last edited by KirkF350; 01-23-2008 at 02:10 PM. Reason: spelling

+1
    PV motors are the way to go IMO.

With proper maintenance and a set of wave eater clips, reliablity issues are basically nil.

+1
    im interested to hear what some of the vetts say about this.

i thought all the power valves did was manipulate the power curve. i would imagine a ski with fuel injection would be able to do the same thing because it has the ability to change the timing as well as fuel flow.

NON PV motors are stronger than a PV motor. IMO they are just a more solid engine.(no powervalves to worry about). But you can get more top end out of a PV. The NON PV has more bottom end. IMO. A gp1200 will eat a Gpr in the hole but at the top end them Gpr guys leave us behind.

+1
    I thought Yamaha had fixed this issue with the PV on the 03-04 models. Honestly I have never heard of any PV failures on these year models.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by R1SideWayz View Post
    I thought Yamaha had fixed this issue with the PV on the 03-04 models. Honestly I have never heard of any PV failures on these year models.
    Some say they did but you never know. $60 dollars worth of clips, and I sleep much better. I put some on my 03. Why take the chance?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by krispaintballz View Post
    NON PV motors are stronger than a PV motor. IMO they are just a more solid engine.(no powervalves to worry about). But you can get more top end out of a PV. The NON PV has more bottom end. IMO. A gp1200 will eat a Gpr in the hole but at the top end them Gpr guys leave us behind.
    i have seen the complete opposite- non power valve better top and pv better bottom..just my .02cents

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information