Thread: Rideplate Mod

Rideplate Mod

Anyone mill the back pads ? What does this do make the rideplate angle up toward the ski ? I think Burnwater also talked about doing this. I'm not sure I know where the pads are anyone have a pic ?

Quote Originally Posted by JD 1
    Jawz its funny you say that the more power you put to it the more you have to shim the back of the plate DOWN (you are excatly correct) if anyone wants to listen, you guys have seen my hull, I also have milled my rideplate (like Rotax offers) and noticed another mph and last year had it running a solid 79to80 mph, added some more hp and it DID NOT go any faster. I did the same thing jawz did and went back to the rideplate and shimmed it down, almost back to where it use to be stock, and the speed went up 2 mph = 82mph. This was a back to back test and it worked, the reason was I had so much power that if I trimed up it would start to porpuse and I couldnt get it to ride correctly, this year I am adding trim tabs so that hopefully I can adjust for all the power Im adding this year
    you dont have to split the plate apart, you dont mill the rideplate, mill the back 4 pads, at least thats what I did anyone with alittle bit of mods needs to do this, especially if you have a 3 seater
    Quote Originally Posted by Pale Rider
    JD: talking about the mounting pads where the fasteners go thru?...PR...
    Yes, where the plate bolts to the hull

+1
    if your under 80mph on a RXP I would say cut the pads, its only when you really have alot of power that it needs to stay stock. Mark U. says its a real good gain on the 3 seaters.

So you unbolt the rideplate and cut the pads that shim it ?
    I'm not sure what the pads are. I can't seem to find them on the oem parts list. Do I just grind down the flat parts of the rideplate ?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2405_21s0507_196.gif 
Views:	76 
Size:	45.0 KB 
ID:	3617   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	t_rideplate1_182_100.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	18.3 KB 
ID:	3623  

JD, any idea how much is the right amount to cut off of a 3 seater? 1/8"? How much did you cut your RXP?

+1
    unbolt the plate and you will see the pads and how much you need to take off. The pads are where the bolts run through the plate to mount to the hull. There will be rings around the holes, that is the pad and take off enough to where it is smooth or just PM me when you pull the plate.

Anyone know the part number for that pad ? I was thinking of ordering some and trying different widths and speed differences.

Shibby you ever consider this mod ?
    I heard Riva is coming out with a rideplate mod I wonder if it works on this issue. Maybe I should wait and see what they have then modify it.

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    you can also send your rideplate to Mark... he does this modification, it's on his pricing list.

but yes, i've heard of this mod and considered it. have not done it yet because i will be doing the rideplate work at the same time i pull the motor and true the hull

if you wait for Riva, you'll have a rideplate for 2007.... they struggle enough to release the stage 3, i find it hard to believe the rideplate will be read for the stage 3 release.... but that would be a pleasant surprise if i'm wrong.

I remember talking to Mark last year and he said he did a rideplate mod for 100 dollars and you mail him your rideplate. He said it was good for 1-1.5 mph. If I could do this without removing the whole rideplate I'll give it a shot. I remember Burnwater saying shimming it so it would angle up and then removing the wedge would be more efficient. Not sure if he tried it.
    I think Jerry is going to see them at the end of this month and they are going to release some information. I think I'll wait until the end of the month. If no mods for the rideplate I'm scraping some epoxy.

I would like to do it after the skegs though so I can test handling and gains with both.

If someone ever gets to trying this please take a picture of what needs to be done. I'm all about doing it just don't know where to start. Do I unscrew the back 2 bolts on the bottom? and then try to pry them apart to find the pads. Do I need to unswrew any of the bolts that are in the pump area ?

you will have to remove the intake grate and the complete ride plate but won't have separate the ride plate halves. What Mark is probably doing is milling down the sides of the plate at an angle front to back. It doesn't appear that it can go up but about .030 inch by grinding the pads on the hull and may not be worth taking it off for that small amount unless you plan on milling the plate.

Thread Information