Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

honda pump grease

Has anyone found an amsoil or other grease ro replace the pump grease?

I build Horsepower
    +1
    I always use Spectro products.

spectro

Thanks I will try to find some this week. I sent my pump to Exactal to be bored and re sleeved with thicker wall sleeve.($200)

+1
    If you get out all of the old grease you should be able to use the AMSOIL Marine grease. http://www.amsoil.com/redirect.cgi?zo=367509&page=storefront/gwr

Nitro, in your experince when should one change the pump oil? Reading all your posts here and on PWCtoday... one can easily tell you know more than the average joe!

I build Horsepower
    +1
    Speaking for Honda pumps. (they come with grease)

I PM my pump at least 2X a season. At the start and Mid way. You need to at least do an inspection and check for water intrusion.

The rear c-clip is prone to fail causing the drive shaft to shift and loosen at the prop. This also gives you time to see if the prop is still tight to torque specs 105 Ft-lbs is what I use (and use red loctite on prop threads)

Takes about 45 minutes to do this.

Shawn

+1
    FYI,
    I use a solvent and compressed air to clear out the old grease and then I pump back in the fresh grease with a hypodermic needle with a zert fitting on the end, attached to my grease gun. The Hypo needle slides through both bearing races and allows the grease to fill the bearing cavity from the backside. I do the same proceedure with my wheel bearings, until they are completely full of clean grease. I now have all most 500 hours on my original pump bearings.
    The Hypo grease fittings are available from McMaster Carr in their catalog and are made by Triad Products 1-888-462-1937. WW Grainger does not carry them any more.
    JR
    Last edited by JRINJAX; 02-01-2008 at 09:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JRINJAX View Post
    FYI,
    I use a solvent and compressed air to clear out the old grease and then I pump back in the fresh grease with a hypodermic needle with a zert fitting on the end, attached to my grease gun. The Hypo needle slides through both bearing races and allows the grease to fill the bearing cavity from the backside. I do the same proceedure with my wheel bearings, until they are completely full of clean grease. I now have all most 500 hours on my original pump bearings.
    The Hypo grease fittings are available from McMaster Carr in their catalog and are made by Triad Products 1-888-462-1937. WW Grainger does not carry them any more.
    JR

Nice tip!!!!!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by JRINJAX View Post
    FYI,
    JR
    FYI When you use the compressed air, make sure the bearing does not spin. You will damage it due to lack of lubrication.

Well since I had to tear down part of the pump today, I decided to pull off the pump cone. This is what I found..... Has anyone ran any gear oil or lower unit oil in there pump to lessen friction? Like what Sea Doo dose? Just thinking about trying something diffrent???

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information