Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1

Arrow Polaris carbureted CDI versions, differences

This post is driven mostly by curiosity, rather than current need. I suspect others would be interested in the information too. I may have missed it, but I don't think there is a comprehensive collection of this info posted.

From time to time I see comments about one Polaris CDI version or another, and what the timing parameters are for a particular part number. The knowledge is out there.

Has anyone assembled a chart or table of all the Polaris CDI, complete with the important differences?

The domestic and Fuji engines are of course different, and I think none of the CDI from one will work on the other.

I get the impression that some (most?) Polaris Fuji CDI had a stepped timing curve - at a certain RPM, the timing advance simply jumps. Which RPM this happens at, and how much the timing changes, is the kind of info I have not come across.

For the Fuji engines, the Pro785 CDI seems to be the preferred unit, if you are willing to change over the electrical box, etc to accommodate it.
    Beyond that, I have no real idea how the other Fuji CDIs compare.

Programmable CDI - I read about them, but I have not come across the details on how this is done, what software is needed, and which engine/CDI versions it applies to. Is this for Fuji CDI only?

I too have looked everywhere for a Fit-chart. This would be so helpful.

Has anyone found a CDI chart anywhere???

Thanks

"Has anyone assembled a chart or table of all the Polaris CDI, complete with the important differences?"
    In you special signature page the service manual for 1992 to 1995-7 have a list of all the CDI plus timing and other info.

"The domestic and Fuji engines are of course different, and I think none of the CDI from one will work on the other."
    The CDI from the Fuji engine use a Pulser to trigger the coils, the Domestic Engine use the Hall Sensor.
    I think can be swap the complete system if and only if the flywheel fit the domestic engine and the other way around.
    Notice that the Fuji CDI trigger the front and read coils together with the middle one.

"I get the impression that some (most?) Polaris Fuji CDI had a stepped timing curve - at a certain RPM, the timing advance simply jumps. Which RPM this happens at, and how much the timing changes, is the kind of info I have not come across."
    Yes it does, this type of CDI do not have a throttle position sensor to Interpolate the basic map to smooth the curve, CDI so primitive like this one have only about 3 to 8 step. I do know Kawasaki install TPS sensors in the Ultra 150 and other models, SeaDoo use a Switch in the Late 947 Engine to signal Full Throttle to the CDI, I do not know about Yamaha.
    Until the the Watercraft manufacturer installed Fuel Injection in watercraft then the Ignition system begin to have more complex maps, also notice all fuel injection in watercraft use inductive coils, I can not verify that about GP1300R.

"For the Fuji engines, the Pro785 CDI seems to be the preferred unit, if you are willing to change over the electrical box, etc to accommodate it. Beyond that, I have no real idea how the other Fuji CDIs compare."
    The Pro785 CDI have extra circuits to control the Power Valves and more advance timing, I think Speedwerx used to sell a programmable CDI for the Pro785 or used to offer the service of reprogram the CDI.

"Programmable CDI - I read about them, but I have not come across the details on how this is done, what software is needed, and which engine/CDI versions it applies to. Is this for Fuji CDI only?"
    I do not know about the Fuji CDI, but the PVL can be reprogram you must be a mayor distributor for PVL, Also I used to have the Polaris Handheld Programmer for the domestic CDI, I opened once and I can recall had a Motorola microcontroller with the serial interface chip and others discreet components. I think this programmer move the timing table up or down or the offset timing. I do know the SeaDoo MPEM programmer used to reprogram the XP800 CDI timing with a special software from the SeaDoo Racing department.
    If you can get you hand in one of this Polaris programmers you may decode the address where the timing table is store inside the MCU, also if you open a bad domestic CDI and find the MCU use for controlling the the CDI you may find the datasheet and find the ram address where the timing table is store.

I have build few CDI and water injection for Mini Atv's and watercraft. Take a look:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AN2159.pdf 
Views:	14 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	418095Click image for larger version. 

Name:	An4006_complete.pdf 
Views:	11 
Size:	227.2 KB 
ID:	418096Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Direct Current Ignition Reference Manual.pdf 
Views:	17 
Size:	518.1 KB 
ID:	418097Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CAPACITIVE DISCHARGE IGNITION_ST.pdf 
Views:	10 
Size:	77.4 KB 
ID:	418098Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0086.JPG 
Views:	15 
Size:	84.7 KB 
ID:	418099Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0049.JPG 
Views:	16 
Size:	73.6 KB 
ID:	418100Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image11.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	74.1 KB 
ID:	418101

Thread Information