Auto Trim Nozzle on an XL1200ltd

Has anyone put a "VTS AUTO TRIM STEERING NOZZLE" on an XL1200 Ltd??
    I would imagine you would loose the ability for reverse which wouldn't bother me.

Are there any difference between the GP1300R and the GP1200R nozzles?

And one last question. The longer the nozzle (i.e. +12 +20 +50) what are the Major differencer performance wise? Will the +50 turn better and make your trim up/down better, but also give more back pressure and hence go slower?

cheers

+1
    Pretty much would have to remove the reverse (not worth it IMO) The longer nozzles would need to be cut to clear your reverse gate.

Have you tried aftermarket sponsons ? Maybe that is what you need to get that thing to turn.

I don't really use reverse much anyway, so if i didn't have it i wouldn't care.
    Someone here mentioned that they used the XL1200's nozzle on a GP1300r (I think), so i was wondering if the R&D GP1300R nozzle would physically fit the XL1200 and work ok.
    I wouldn't mind changing the standard nozzle to an aftermarket one for safety reasons and just thought that if i can get an auto-drop nozzle even better.

Whats on my ski atm:
    R&D Intake grate
    Solaris impeller
    Free-flow exhaust

Whats on the way:
    Sponsons
    Pump seal/stuffer Kit
    Wave eater PV clips and couplers

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrael View Post
    Has anyone put a "VTS AUTO TRIM STEERING NOZZLE" on an XL1200 Ltd??
    I would imagine you would loose the ability for reverse which wouldn't bother me.

Are there any difference between the GP1300R and the GP1200R nozzles?

And one last question. The longer the nozzle (i.e. +12 +20 +50) what are the Major differencer performance wise? Will the +50 turn better and make your trim up/down better, but also give more back pressure and hence go slower?

cheers
    A GPR has a 5 degree nozzle, with approximately 87mm diameter from 2000 to 2003. After 2003 it went to 85mm (more back pressure).

The XL has a 3 degree nozzle with an 87mm diameter. Yes, they will swap out easily enough, but you would have to tap into the bosses of a GPR nozzle to get the reverse bucket to attach. A 5 degree nozzle from a GPR on an XL 1200 typically will gain you about 1 mph with a much livelier ride. This is cheap speed. Yes, you can put the auto trim on, but if you do not take the time to adjust it properly, then you can and likely will loose speed. I do not know for sure if you can attach the auto trim on and still have the bucket attachment.

The point is that the big difference between the two nozzles is the angle, and if you switch the nozzles from 1 boat to the other, then the ride QUALITY changes dramatically for both boats with the XL gaining and the GPR loosing speed.

Cannot comment on your last question

If your not doing something, its hard to screw up. stlouisramsfan's Avatar
    I have a 99 xl 1200 limited, so i could get a gpr nozzle and that would improve the ride+ gain 1 MPH?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by stlouisramsfan View Post
    I have a 99 xl 1200 limited, so i could get a gpr nozzle and that would improve the ride+ gain 1 MPH?
    yes - the ski feels lighter. Only downfalls are you loose a little rough water handling and you have to tap the nozzle for the reverse bucket brackets.

longer nozzles will give your trim more attitude, but turning is really hard WOT, but tighter at less throttle.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by stlouisramsfan View Post
    Get with one of your local GPR buddies and do a nozzle swap for a weekend. Both of you will be pleasantly surprised.

A 3 degree really starts to shine on a GPR when the chop increases over 2 foot by improveing control and reduceing rider fatigue. It will increase overall top end speed in these conditions.

A 5 degree helps an XL from flat water to about 3 1/2 to 4 foot chop by improveing the top end speed. The control, although still there is reduced.

I was hoping to even have a ride on a GPR, but no one that i know here in cairns has one I'm even in Townsville Jetsports club (3.5hrs drive south), but no one there either.
    But on the plus side, I do get to ride all year round.

Thread Information