Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Riding the Mississippi

Thread moved from Why remove Reverse:

Quote Originally Posted by Muddy River View Post
    Very legal! There are 29 locks on the Mississippi and the last one is in St. Louis, from South of St. Louis it gets deeper and wider. In the state of Iowa alone there is 19 locks and if you look at the map, thats were the bend occurs. Pools 13 and 12 is were is usually ride and it takes a half of tank of gas to get to lock and Dam 12 at cruising speed (5500 rpms). With the control of current and water level between locks, the water is smoother than down South. The average depth in my area is approximately 14 feet put the current is still dangerous! Right above Lock and Damn 13 is the widest part of the Upper Mississippi and it's 7 miles wide. THe only thing that concerns me on the Upper part of the Mississippi is when the water gets low you need to stay in between the bouey's (main Channel). During the great depression of FDR's work release programs was that they built man made wing dams on the edge of the Upper Miss river to control the water route and it was a failure in engineering but a success ecologically because the fish spawn around these areas.

The DNR like to say Hi a lot when you actually see one. They are just dong thier job to protect the waterways. It's a beautiful place to ride with a lot of history!
    Sounds like fun. So I assume there are places (safe) to dock, buy fuel, stay the night etc. along the river or do you need a ground crew to come along if you wanted to ride the whole river? Thanks.
    Last edited by darrel; 01-25-2008 at 10:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by darrel View Post
    Thread moved from Why remove Reverse:

Sounds like fun. So I assume there are places (safe) to dock, buy fuel, stay the night etc. along the river or do you need a ground crew to come along if you wanted to ride the whole river? Thanks.
    There are a lot of places to eat/dock. Gas is only at 89 ocatane though! There is so much to see and a lot of River Boat crusies going by! Staying the night isn't a issue. There are motels all along the river!

How secure is your ski while your eating or staying the night in a motel?

How secure is your ski while your eating or staying the night in a motel?
    Just like any body of water.... I depends on the weather, It is usually calm when the sun goes down, and it depends on how it is beached, anchored, or docked!

I meant as far as someone messing with your ski or worse yet stealing it. Thanks.

I meant as far as someone messing with your ski or worse yet stealing it. Thanks.
    This is not Florida! I haven't heared of one in this area ever. You should be fine! I live in Illinois and five minutes from Iowa, it takes me 3 minutes to get to the river.

Is that where you normally ride? I've never rode a river before but it sure seems like it would be fun.

Is that where you normally ride? I've never rode a river before but it sure seems like it would be fun.
    Yes, and a lot of guys from the Chicago area come down here a lot! Since they only live 2 hours away. Mostly, they ride on the Illinois RIver and that is narrow compared to the Mississippi!

I've gotta get out there one day. Sounds like a blast.

Had the place to myself a lot of times when I've ridden the Missouri and Mississippi Rivers. The ramps and marinas can be kinda far apart away from the major cities, so plan accordingly for fuel and food. As far as overnighting on a long trip, stay away from the congested areas and nobody will find, much less mess with you. Near cities like St. Louis, St. Charles and Alton, there are public marinas for transient boaters. Safe parking, fuel and accomodations are nearby. A support vehicle would be helpful on a long trip just in case you had major trouble.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information