Warrenty Question???

It has been a while since I chimed in so I would like to get some opinions about the good times protection plan (extended warranty). Today I spent $1900.00 for the four year extended warranties on both of my ultra-250x's. I知 the type of person that if it were not for bad luck, I would have no luck at all. I cant help but feel that if I did not get the extended warranty and the day after the manufacturers warranty expired, my engine would seize up (I know I知 being dramatic)

I then purchased the warranty and started to read it. What I discovered was I just purchased a $1900.00 disclaimer that says Kawasaki is not liable for anything if they determine it was not defective. There are a number of ways Kawasaki can get out of honoring their warranty. One of those ways is just by them simply stating that you neglected and mis-used their water craft.

Here is another example. There is a gentlemen on this site that blew a rod and put it through the side if his crankcase. This caused all sorts of mayhem that left his engine in need of 100% replacement. Kawasaki responded by stating that after their investigation, they determined they could not find anything defective that would cause this. So they did not cover this under the warranty.

Could not find anything defective??? How about the ROD GOING THROUGH THE SIDE OF THE CASE!!! That is a pretty big one if you ask me.

In closing I would like to ask every one in this forum to give me any feedback they would like about the warranties. Did you get the warranty??? Did you not get the warranty??? Have you had any issues trying to get warranty work done?? I would like to hear what you all have to say.

Last but not least.... Did I do the right thing by purchasing the extended warranty, or did I just throw $1900.00 out the window?

Thanks for reading this.....Hope to hear from all............Mike

DesertD, if you paid $1900 for two warranties, ie $950 a piece, that may be a bit higher than the lowest price that some others have paid but still within advertised "retail" range. I seem to recall someone posting that they could get the warr for approx $650 (not sure if this was for 3 or 4 yrs). If you search the Kawi forum, I think you will find much discussion (from last summer) about the price ranges.

I learned this summer that the warr price may be negotiable as it is when you buy a car. The market price may vary considerably depending on local market conditions. I think you can cancel the warr w/in first year and get a pro rated refund if you really have a change of heart.

Whether or not the warr is worth it depends a lot on the individual. Are you going to log 20 or 100+hrs a season? If I knew I was only going to keep the ski a year or 2 and I could do most repairs myself I may not bother, esp if I was planning to do mods that would likely void the warr anyway. For many people (incldg myself) where these factors dont apply, I think the warr is worth the money for peace of mind esp when I know I will log 100hrs+ a season.

You are right that there is some disclaimer language that must be read carefully and understood. A warranty is a diffferent product than an insurance policy. I also had a C-rod bearing fail but the dealer told me from day 1 that all damage was covered and Ive had no problem. I happen to have a good dealer though and they had documentary proof that I had carefully followed the maint schedule.

I see no evidence that Kawi treats warr issues any differently than other manufrs. I do think its important, however, to buy from a reputable dealer who values customer relations. Best of luck!

Supplement: I read about the case of the other C-rod failure involving the other forum member. I did not hear, however, that Kawi refused to repair under warranty.
    Last edited by Blue 182; 01-27-2008 at 03:09 AM. Reason: Supplement

Fat Man, Little Boat Region8Ultra250X's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by desert dirt diver View Post
    It has been a while since I chimed in so I would like to get some opinions about the good times protection plan (extended warranty). Today I spent $1900.00 for the four year extended warranties on both of my ultra-250x's. I知 the type of person that if it were not for bad luck, I would have no luck at all. I cant help but feel that if I did not get the extended warranty and the day after the manufacturers warranty expired, my engine would seize up (I know I知 being dramatic)

I then purchased the warranty and started to read it. What I discovered was I just purchased a $1900.00 disclaimer that says Kawasaki is not liable for anything if they determine it was not defective. There are a number of ways Kawasaki can get out of honoring their warranty. One of those ways is just by them simply stating that you neglected and mis-used their water craft.

Here is another example. There is a gentlemen on this site that blew a rod and put it through the side if his crankcase. This caused all sorts of mayhem that left his engine in need of 100% replacement. Kawasaki responded by stating that after their investigation, they determined they could not find anything defective that would cause this. So they did not cover this under the warranty.

Could not find anything defective??? How about the ROD GOING THROUGH THE SIDE OF THE CASE!!! That is a pretty big one if you ask me.

In closing I would like to ask every one in this forum to give me any feedback they would like about the warranties. Did you get the warranty??? Did you not get the warranty??? Have you had any issues trying to get warranty work done?? I would like to hear what you all have to say.

Last but not least.... Did I do the right thing by purchasing the extended warranty, or did I just throw $1900.00 out the window?

Thanks for reading this.....Hope to hear from all............Mike
    i got the warranty, blew up every piece of the drive train and had it all covered the warranty... i put a c-rod through the cases had the entire thing order and hand assembled piece by piece under warranty... was i bitchy about how long it tok yes.... was i help with the end result, yes

if its caused by water ingestion it is not going to be covered. its all in how you approach it with the dealer.....

so yeah it was a wise investment. 750 for the warranty that has covered 8k plus in repairs, i think it was a fair trade and i am covered for the next 3 years...

and i am using it as a stock class race boat.... i am buying a second hood for it just so i don't have to take the numbers off every time it goes in for something.

according to the Moss Magnuson Act, you can do any mods you want, the warranty provider has to prove that those mods were the direct cause of the failure in order to not provide warranty coverage. google it, it's no bs. i went to school for automotive aftermarket management so i know how these things work with regards to modifications and warranties.

i wouldnt get to cocky with the dealership in regards to mods and warrenties. I was on the other hand as i worked at many dealers as lead tech. The manufacturer has alot more money and can drag it out in court. Bankrupt most individuals and even most companies. Ive seen it happen on more than one occasion. Not saying they are right but that just how it is sometimes.

Thread Information