Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

polaris 1999 Genesys surge problems

I have a 1999 Polaris Genesis (3 Cylinder 1200cc) Non FFI Jetski. Am having major problems with Power loss which seems to have occured after hitting wake. I did have a problem with the 3rd Cylinder Impulse tube which has been replaced. Seems to be an electrical problem. I recall having a similar problem when new and computer needed replacing. Not sure if same issue. Very frastrated as ski seems to operate well (Out of the Water) but problem occurs when in water under load. Tried new plugs fuel etc.
    Last edited by raygrima; 01-26-2008 at 05:01 PM.

Welcome to the Green Hulk Forums!!

There is a '02 manual in the tech section that has a FFI trouble shooting section in it. Although your ski is a different year, it would probably worth a look.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by raygrima View Post
    I have a 1999 Polaris Genesys Jetski. ...
    I did have a problem with the 3rd Cylinder Impulse tube which has been replaced.
    Seems to be an electrical problem. I recall having a similar problem when new and computer needed replacing. Not sure if same issue.
    Very frustrated as ski seems to operate well (Out of the Water) but problem occurs when in water under load.
    Tried new plugs fuel etc.
    Welcome to the Hulk!

Is this a carbureted model, or fuel injected?

Model type is Genesis, not Genesys.

Have you used any petroleum protectant products to spray the interior of the engine area?

Any electrical or other work been done recently?

Thanks for your propmt reply. Ski is carburated & model is Genesis. I always spray my engine etc with a petroleum product (Interior). Only electrical work completed was a sensor replacement for the governer but issue was there prior to this work.

I do recall when new the ski had a similar fault and Polaris replaced computer which seemed to fix the problem. I have always had this problem but not as bad as current.

Interesting I had checked the rear Impulse Tube & it was cut due to wear. I replaced this and the ski issue improved (Not 100%) After hitting the wash from another boat the problem is now worse than ever.

Ray

+1
    Thanks for your prompt reply. Ski is carbureted & model is Genesis. I always spray my engine etc with a petroleum product (Interior). Only electrical work completed was a sensor replacement for the governor but issue was there prior to this work.

I do recall when new the ski had a similar fault and Polaris replaced computer which seemed to fix the problem. I have always had this problem but not as bad as current.

Interesting I had checked the rear Impulse Tube & it was cut due to wear. I replaced this and the ski issue improved (Not 100%) After hitting the wash from another boat the problem is now worse than ever.

Ray
    If the impulse tube to the fuel pump was damaged, there is the possibility of fuel starvation and lean operation, which could have caused piston damage. Has the compression been checked recently on all cylinders? What were the numbers?

Sometimes the electrical wiring insulation can become brittle from the chemical effects of solvent based sprays. Jolting ride motions and engine vibration cause the wiring harness to flex, and sometimes the wires become damaged from the constant flexing.

Working on the ski can also flex the wiring. You may have weak connections in the wiring at a connector somewhere, or where the wires are supported by clips.

You may have more than one contributing issue that needs attention, so it may take some checking to be sure you have checked and fixed everything that needs fixing.

It could be a simple as clipping the last 1/4 inch off each of the spark plug wires for a better connection!

Quote Originally Posted by axgrider73 View Post
    Welcome to the Green Hulk Forums!!

There is a '02 manual in the tech section that has a FFI trouble shooting section in it. Although your ski is a different year, it would probably worth a look.
    Guess I didn't real close enough, thought it was injected.

Anyhow, are there any warnings on the MFD? Have the carbs ever been disassembled and cleaned.

I am guessing a carb issue, but you should check the compression just to make sure that there are no engine issues.

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    After you cover all that's been posted,I'd take a look at the fuel system, Water seperator(make sure it's been drained and cleaned) and them into the carbs. If you have some water build-up after a wake jump you could be injesting some water that's been shook up. If you find water in the seperator, then a fuel tank cleaning is in order.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Keddano View Post
    After you cover all that's been posted,I'd take a look at the fuel system, Water seperator(make sure it's been drained and cleaned) and them into the carbs. If you have some water build-up after a wake jump you could be injesting some water that's been shook up. If you find water in the seperator, then a fuel tank cleaning is in order.
    I'm thinking fuel starvation as well, be sure to look for water as suggested but I've also seen where a good impact can jar the crap loose in the tank, lines and carbs then plug the 3 tiny filters in the carbs...no power and a lean running condition.
    How do the plugs look?
    Was there a goodamount of water in the hull after your ride?

Looks like problem has been resolved

Looks like my problem was electrical. I took apart the electrical box which houses the Coil & Computer. A black earth lead running from the coil to a connection was stretched & very tight. I bent the connecter giving the black wire some slack. Took the ski out for a test run & now it is flying with no missing at high speed. After 2 hours of running all seems fine except for a mis fire when I throttle back down to around 2-3 thousand revs but once I plant the throttle it seems to come good from 3000 revs upwards. This issue seems to be related to fuel - carbs (I Think). I guess I can live with that until I revisit my mechanic.

+1
    ...Took the ski out for a test run & now it is flying with no missing at high speed.
    After 2 hours of running all seems fine except for a mis fire when I throttle back down to around 2-3 thousand revs but once I plant the throttle it seems to come good from 3000 revs upwards.
    This issue seems to be related to fuel - carbs (I Think).
    I guess I can live with that until I revisit my mechanic.
    An out of tune, or partially gummed up, carburetor can create lean fuel mixture operation, sometimes in only one cylinder.

Be aware that a modest lean condition can still produce good power, but at the same time cause elevated piston temperatures, which can shorten the life of the pistons (or worse).

Check your piston wash and read up on lean condition symptoms. Running lean while you delay visiting your mechamic can be costly.

If the carbs have not been serviced for some time, now might be a good time to get that done.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information