Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Newbie looking for help..

I have a seadoo jetboat now, but I'm selling it, and getting into a waveruneer. I've been looking at alot of different ones, Seadoo's, Yamaha's, Honda"s. But i recently ran into a Polaris 2004 MSX Turbo. It seems like a good deal to me, they're aksing $5200, and it has 25 hours on it, and its in really good shape. I'm mainly using it for tubing and just riding around the lake. I really dont know much about these, So i would like to know your opinions on this machine, as far as durability, maintenance, ease of driving, and fuel consumption....And how would it be owning it if, I've never owned one before. Thanks

Jeff
    Also, is this machine a 2 or 4 stroke?

Sorry if the questions seem dumb. I just dont know much about these.
    Last edited by Jeff1229; 01-26-2008 at 11:53 AM.

The MSX 140 is a two stroke.

Hey Jeff, Welcome to the Hulk. I don't know anything about the msx's but with the help and support you will get from the experts here, I really don't see how you could go wrong with any Polaris model. There is a section here dedicated to the msx/matrix boats that is packed full of information.

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=132

PS You may want to reference the boat as a "jet ski" instead of the waverunner unless you are talking about a Yamaha.

The MSX 110, and 150, are 4 stroke...and are a real miser on fuel consumption. Both the 110, and the 150, have a closed loop cooling system for the engine (like your car), and hold up extremely well in salt water conditions. My MSX 150 is pratically maintenance free...just keep the oil and antifreeze levels topped! Great hull for chop, and just plain cruising....

Another plus...all of the bearings in the drive unit are factory lubed, and sealed, and will last seemingly forever.

My 150 has reached 72 mph on the factory speedo (see pic from video), and I will get a true reading just as soon as the weather allows (gave myself a GPS for Christmas)!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	72 MPH.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	100.0 KB 
ID:	54699  

Being dragged kicking and screaming into 1997 afcblink's Avatar
    I've heard that since they got out of the PWC biz, getting fuel-injected Polaris skis repaired is a nightmare, should something go wrong with the fuel system. I was looking at a FI Genesis, and a LOT of people cautioned me against it.

The one i'm loiking at is the MSX 150 turbo. I've just hear this is the sort of jet ski that you cant turn over, cuz once you do. You have a problem. Also, hows the price on it. a 2004 MSX 150 with 24 hours on it for $5200

Also, how are they when pulling a tube?

What do you mean by a real misser on fuel consumption..?

+1
    Most large modern PWC are hard to roll over,Polaris is very stable.
    All 2 stroke pwc have water in the exhaust,if they roll over,flip them back over in the correct direction(usually have a warning sticker) otherwise the water will enter the cylinder.If cranked over or left to sit this will cause problems.
    Having a 4 stroke,you're engine is safer when rolled over.
    $5,000 is about the going price,check other classified adds,E-bay,do some research on price.
    4 stroke fuel injected engines get good gas mileage.

Thanks Casey. The guy is asking 5200, or he'll trade me for my 1997 seadoo challenger 1800. So we'll see what happens.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Most MSX owners here seem to really like their boats, both the 2-stroke MSX140 and the 4-stroke MSX 110 and MSX 150.

The 4-strokes are both turbocharged two cylinder models, just different power outputs (100 and 150HP).

The fuel injection system on the four strokes is completely different from the Fitch system on the 2-strokes. The Fitch system did have some issues in the early years, but these are now well understood, and not hard to stay on top of.

The Polaris Weber engined four stroke machines, including the MSX150, seem to be reliable, as long as the oil level is not overfilled. It seems the factory dipstick markings were incorrect, with the result being that it was easy to accidentally overfill the oil, and cause problems.

Keep that in mind, read what the other MSX owners have to say, and I think you will find the MSX150 to be a reliable and enjoyable ride.

The 2004 MSX hull is considered to be the best hull Polaris ever did, especially for rougher water, and ocean riding.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff1229 View Post
    The one i'm loiking at is the MSX 150 turbo. I've just hear this is the sort of jet ski that you cant turn over, cuz once you do. You have a problem. Also, hows the price on it. a 2004 MSX 150 with 24 hours on it for $5200

Also, how are they when pulling a tube?

What do you mean by a real misser on fuel consumption..?
    Sips the gas like a stingy rich uncle! I can ride hard all day, without ever having to refill.

As for tipping over...the MSX is no different than any other PWC. If you flip it back in the direction of the picture on the transom decal, and in a reasonable amount of time, all's well. The engine oil system is a dry sump setup...so there is a relatively small amount of oil in the bottom end.

$5,200 is not the lowest that I have seen...but 24 hours is the least I have seen on a 2004 in a long time. I assume that a decent trailer is included in that number....

Oh, yeah...pulling a tube with even several adults is not a problem. Do it all of the time!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	toby jet ski.JPG 
Views:	48 
Size:	196.5 KB 
ID:	54710  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information