Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Moderated

Shred Master first impressions

well i finally got around to fitting my shred master plate today, so i thought i would post a thread on my first impressions with its fitment and peformance...

it was a bit of a tight fit due to the bolt holes not being slotted so there was very little tollerence for things being out of wack...i noticed the stock yami plate has slotted holes and it must be for this reason...i dont think its the plate that is out but more likely the hull has sloppy tollences...

it came with a replacement pump filter plate because the stock one will not let the speedo fit back on once the plate it fitted as the stock bolts will hit the speedo....... it came with SS allen head screws for both plates , this replacement plate fitted perfectly and i used the old o ring off the original one as directed....its a nice thought on there behalf and the finish of the plate both the pump cover and the ride plate is very nice indeed when compared with some other onces i seen.

it took a bit of fiddling to get the plate to fit correctly, well, as well i could right now with out grinding a bit off the back bit where it mates with the pump shoe but i can do this later and correct the over hang on the left side at the same time , its a bout 2mm lower on that side..not quite sure yet as to the best way to address the one sided over hang and if any of you have already dealt with tis please post the prefered fix in this thread. the back of the ride plate on that same side is also hard up againt the shoe but thats easy fixed with an angle grinder.

all in all the fitting took about 25 minutes including removing the stock plate.

as for how it performed, well it took it for a run early today, about 10am and there was already quite a few boats out so the chop was already 2foot odd in the bay...i did some mid range test runs to make sure all was well and it felt ok then headed to a large bay in the area which is normally quite rough fgor a shltered bay with 2-3 foot chop being the norm but even at WOT acorss this bay i gps'd 95 kph top speed and it felt good across the water, it still bounced around a little but it did feel better then the stock plate and far better then my r&d modded plate.

as for flat water WOT i seem to have lost 1MPH top end as my top speed was 104 KPH which converts to 65 MPH my best prior to this was 66mph however it felt more settled on these runds and i was hitting multiple boat wakes during these runs so i was unhooking at time due to bein g in the air at times hehe.

thus far i am quite happy with its results. i also had a bit of a run with an rxt after woods ( in that same semi sheltered bay where i did my WOT tests) which was was stock i think and i was getting ahead of him on the top end (i did not run him from a standing start as i did see the point on a gpr as they get me every time , the sc'd seadoo's that is ) but as i said i was pulling away on this run and i think its fair to say that was due to my ski sitting better on the water and therefore getting the power to the water where it belongs...where as he was unhooking far more

i will take some pics later on and post them here ...anyway just wated to share my experience with the people considering making an investment with a shred mastger plate... in my opinion is it worth the money ??
    yes it is if you ride in chop and rough water.

OH ONE LAST THING I FORGOT TO MENTION IS I NEED TO CLEAN UP THE COUNTER SINKS ON THE SPEEDO HOLES AS THEY ARE NOT QUITRE RIGHT...BUT ITS NO BIGGY
    Last edited by izz0; 01-26-2008 at 09:20 PM.

African-American
    +1
    Thanks for the info.

Moderated
    i did some more riding with it today out sharkies and road out to boat harbour so i got more of a feel for it and i like it.

my mate took it for a ride and he rekons it carves much better now then it did before, he likes to carve wave faces where as i prefer to jump them... so its handling seems to be better as well as far as steering responce whilst hanging off the face of a wave although i can not say that myself as i was not carving today.

+1
    I got one of these a couple weeks ago and fit in my 01 1200R. I did not need to change the pump water outlet plate as it clears mine (only the skis with the 2" pump extension require the plate) I had no real issues with fitment, I agree the bolt holes could allow for a little more clearance. I had upgraded my plate inserts and re-done my shoe recently on my ski so I think this helped with fitment. I have yet to try it out. I bought this for riding in bigger chop conditions. Thanks for the write up.

+1
    The shredmaster is a great roughwater plate. I think it has potential especially for the GPRXP skis. I plan to try one of Salty's if I ever get my ski together this year

Salty, where are ya bruh

+1
    I have done LOTS and LOTS of work with this plate.

Bob Morgan has a different philosophy on how to make a plate perform.

With all due respect DO NOT CUT OR GRIND on this plate until you take a good hard look at your GPR first. There is a very good chance that it is your shoe that is out of alignment, rather than the plate. Also, there are so many angles to contend with on this plate that if you try to correct one thing that it creates a problem on another spot. I've learned that 10-20 thousandts one way or another on this plate can cost you 1 mph.

I've had a hull upside down for at least 9 months and have been looking at this plate amoung other things with a lazer. What I am seeing is that the Shred is increaseing the overall length of the hull when you are at speed. The idea is that a longer hull rides better in rougher water and you get an overall speed increase in rough water. The problem is that it also increases hull drag which is why in smooth water the boat travels slower. You should use a GPS by the way to determine exactly how much slower your boat is.

The other part of this is that rather than trying to devote a lot of effort trying to lift the bow out of the water to improve speed, this plate seems to try to focus on getting the stern out of the water to improve speed. In this way the hull rides flatter. I understand this point, because a GPR that is traveling over 70 mph does not have trouble getting the bow out of the water... heck, it can't help but to come out of the water at that speed. Look at a GPR with a stock or R&D plate. At the lower speeds, the stern is really dug into the water. The shred seems to address that.

It looks like Bob is trying to figure out how to balance the hull in a relatively flat angle of attack (maybe 1.5 to 2.5 degrees), and get the hull to ride on the lifting strakes that run the length of the hull and sit on each side of the intake. Somebody has TOMMY JORDANS boat on file that shows how flat it is running..., he's riding on the flattest part of the hull which is most efficient in smooth water. Most smooth water guys are riding on the angled part of their hulls.

I've myself componded the problem because I use a 3 degree nozzle only, and no one can give me any good feed back on how their boat behaves set up like this. So far in smooth water, I've got my ported 1200 to 72.5 mph with 3/4 a tank, shred and 3 degree. It is consistent at 71 with a full tank. It is a monster in 2-3 foot chop. Honestly, I'm to scared to take my eyes off the water long enough to see how fast I am traveling (using GPS) in rough water.

I need a high dollar cam corder so I can show everyone what I see with a lazer.

One day, I will have time to work with this set up. I will share the details, but until then, these plates are to expensive to tinker with, so I would strongly advise you to leave it alone for the time being.

After getting your plate and shoe aligned properly, adding shims to the back in 10 thousandths increments may pay off in speed dividends. You will need a GPS and LOTS of patients.

I Love My Shred!

I ride mostly ocean, and I only use the local lake for testing. The Shred is the best rough-water plate I've found. Tough to get big speeds out of it, but I can just sit in the saddle at top speed with no muss, no fuss.

Salty - I've tried the Shred with both a three and five degree nozzle, with minimal differences. The top speed varied by less than .5 MPH, so I consider that a wash. The nose did tend to stay planted more with the 3 degree, but that is a subjective opinion.

With a Shred and mechanical trim tabs there is NO water condition that you can't blast through!

Eric

Moderated
    Eric

i am fast finding that out, i rode yesterday in 20 KPH winds so you can imagine how choppy it was and the ski stayed hooked up well for the most part.

I did in fact let a guy i ran into take my ski for a run as he had a bone stock 07 GPR and after trying to explain to him for 15 minutes how to smooth his ride out ( he had a glazed look in his eyes ) i said look just take mine for a run...well he did and he was blown away by the difference and the only changes i have made are grate, plate and stepping the sponsons.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post

I ride mostly ocean, and I only use the local lake for testing. .

Salty - I've tried the Shred with both a three and five degree nozzle, with minimal differences. The top speed varied by less than .5 MPH, so I consider that a wash. The nose did tend to stay planted more with the 3 degree, but that is a subjective opinion.

Eric
    You can take the subjectivity out of it by compareing your ride/race to a buddies. Put the 5 degree on and compare the ride and how well you race against your buddy, then try the 3 degree and see if you do as well or better.

My plate is modified but it is not a basic "increase the angle of the plate" mod. If you do that, the speed increases but you will porpoise and things start to happen to the (dead rise) angled sides of the plate that creates interference. If I ever get this thing dialed in just right, I will share the info. i just have a problem with time.
    Last edited by salty; 01-29-2008 at 02:40 PM.

Chine Walker
    Salty:
    When you mention "adding shims to the back in 10 thousandths increments may pay off in speed dividends", to you mean the point which the plate meets the shoe??

Regards,
    jp

Ps. always enjoy reading your findings with this plate...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information