Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: engine breakin

engine breakin

''wats up fellas'' just finished installing new moter and was wondering wat was the best way to break in? can i do it on the trailer or should it be in the water?

you need to put it in the water! I use this as a guideline and I'm sure others have their favorite method! Z
    http://www.sbtontheweb.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13960

Quote Originally Posted by ZMANN View Post
    you need to put it in the water! I use this as a guideline and I'm sure others have their favorite method! Z
    http://www.sbtontheweb.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13960
    thanks zmann you have been very helpful. i guss ill get started on the next raider seing how its 15 degrees here ill just have to wait to break it in.

+1
    I've rebuilded my gp1200 last summer. Most of the time when I break in an engine, I let it burn a full tank of fuel on idle sitting on its trailer in the water. Then again I'm from Aruba, where the local beach police doesn't make a fuss about that. I don't know if you can do that in the States. After the first tank I run another half tank on half throttle and after the second half tank half throttle and full throttle. Just make sure to use a good quality oil and I recommend you pre-mix. I mix at 40:1. It hardly takes 1 MPH but your crank will thank you for it later

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by aruba yamaha View Post
    I've rebuilded my gp1200 last summer. Most of the time when I break in an engine, I let it burn a full tank of fuel on idle sitting on its trailer in the water. Then again I'm from Aruba, where the local beach police doesn't make a fuss about that. I don't know if you can do that in the States. After the first tank I run another half tank on half throttle and after the second half tank half throttle and full throttle. Just make sure to use a good quality oil and I recommend you pre-mix. I mix at 40:1. It hardly takes 1 MPH but your crank will thank you for it later

If the motor is built properly & the right piston to cly clearances are used the motor is ready to run after being properly warmed up,5 minutes max.

Bring motor up to speed & vary the throttle from 1/2 to wide open in short bursts for approx 10/15 minutes then drive it like you stole it.

If you didnt do the job right then it will puke.

Been doing it this way for close to 30 years.

Quote Originally Posted by water worx View Post
    If the motor is built properly & the right piston to cly clearances are used the motor is ready to run after being properly warmed up,5 minutes max.

Bring motor up to speed & vary the throttle from 1/2 to wide open in short bursts for approx 10/15 minutes then drive it like you stole it.

If you didnt do the job right then it will puke.

Been doing it this way for close to 30 years.
    in the water or on trailer?

I figured some more folks would chime in with their methods! but you have to launch the craft! maybe if you had a nice test tank could you pull it off? but us humble folk don't! just check for leaks and fumes often Z

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by pitbullsoul View Post
    in the water or on trailer?
    In the water.

+1
    I have used test tanks & IMO they are garbage,they get a water flow going under the craft that causes cavitation & the ski is not loaded properly.

Azz in seat is the only way.

Azz in seat is actually a great time! i share the SBT method of break in with my son it's a pucker factor even when you double check everything, it's a little scary but a lot of fun and Dan is correct I have yet to see one fail if you spend the time to make sure you do it right. Z

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information